Sorter gone..... ??

Just a wild thought – when you have certain other applications in Full Screen, the Sorter asks you whether you want to hide it. Thereafter it will remain hidden when the second application is open in FS mode. Could this be the explanation?

Hi Mike

Which version of DEVONthink are you using?

Alan

I’m having approximately the same problem. I’m using DEVONthink Pro Office 2.1.1 on my iMac running 10.6.7.

The Sorter has disappeared from my screen border where it has lived happily for quite a long time, and I can’t figure out how to get it to reappear again.
In my iMac’s Login options I have DEVONthink Sorter added and the “Hide” box is not checked. And in DTP preferences I’ve checked both Start Sorter at login and Full Visibility. And I’ve gone to Install Add-ons and checked Install DEVONthink Sorter Helper.

I don’t know what I’m overlooking or, for that matter, why the Sorter tab would have disappeared in the first place. I use the Sorter a great deal, and help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks;
Ray

Oh, and I have also downloaded and installed a fresh copy of 2.1.1 but I still find no Sorter.
Help welcome!
Thanks;
Ray

Hi Ray

It would be worth deleting the file ~/Library/Preferences/com.devon-technologies.think-sorter.plist where ~ is your home folder, this should reset the size and position of the sorter. You will not lose the contents or layout of the sorter by doing this.

Best regards
Alan

Hi Alan;

Yes, that got it back. Thanks; I’ve been missing it!

Now I’m just a bit nervous about whether it will remain. If it doesn’t, I’ll get back to you, of course. But for now, no news is good news.

Ray

I have the same problem. But the above solutions did not work for me.

The problem seems to have started after I added new in boxes. It was working fine before that. Is it possible to remove all but the global inbox? How?

It is possible to reset the sorter back to just the global inbox.

1. Open DEVONThink preferences and quit the sorter.
  2. Open Finder and rename the folder ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Sorter (Pro Version) or ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Personal Sorter (Personal Version) to say DEVONthink Sorter Old.
  3. Restart the sorter.

This will recreate the default startup setting with just the Global Inbox in the sorters list.

Alan

hmmm… I kinda have the same problem.

The sorter has been working fine in the past. Then I moved it from the right to the left rim of the screen. After dropping a few hundret items in it, I wanted to add another group. I did NOT let me… instead it crashed on me (not right after the first trial, but I kept on trying). Next the sorter disappeared on me. I could only start it using the “Tools->Sorter EINblenden”. But now it no longer wants to minimize?! I can only stop resp “minimize” the sorter by killing it using the “Tools->Sorter AUSblenden” option in the DT menu. I already deleted the plist as suggested above and I did a new/fresh install of the sorter itself using the “Devonthink Pro Office->Zusätzliche Module installieren” option. btw I am running 2.1.1

so, what shall I do so I have my “old” sorter back that I can minimize? I kind of depend on that little friend quite a bit!

thnx
Chris

PS: Even a complete new install of DTPO did not make a difference.

btw:1. I cannot add any groups
2. I cannot minimize the sorter
3. I cannot use the lower right two buttons to change anything (won’t even open)

Chris have you tried the above post to resolve this?

as mentioned already in my first post, I have already done that (deleting the plist file)

oh well… apparently I did not write it down on the board, but yes, I did that BEFORE I posted anything. and I have even downloaded the DTPO again and installed it over the the old copy.

btw: I am using a macbook pro, mac os x 10.6.8

Hi Chris

Can you send me a copy of the log files via the report a bug system (devon-technologies.com/scripts/helpdesk/).
To get the log files, open the console program in /Application/Utilities and filter the logs by entering “Devon” in the search box.

Thanks
Alan

sent.

i cud also send you from the console some crash reports… but i think i should open a new ticket for each of them OR i’ll mail them to you. i can send me a PM with the email you want them to. whatever is easier for you

regards,
chris

Thanks, received the logs and crash report
Alan

:arrow_right: :arrow_right:

Thank you so much, Alan, that did the job!!! I am posting this here, so anyone else with a similar problem could solve it --maybe-- by himself.

best regards,
Chris

Glad your Sorter is working ok now Chris :smiley:

Thanks was having similar problem, sorter has disappeared and wouldn’t come back!

Your fix sorted the problem :wink:

Thanks for posting, Chris. I had the same problem this week – latest DTPro, latest Snow Leopard, Macbook – and these instructions solved it.

Posting this message so it’s clear this has happened to others and is not a Lion issue…

David

Thanks to aedwards’s advice re: the disappearing sorter.

He advised the following: “It would be worth deleting the file ~/Library/Preferences/com.devon-technologies.think-sorter.plist where ~ is your home folder, this should reset the size and position of the sorter. You will not lose the contents or layout of the sorter by doing this.”

This worked and the sorter was back with everything intact.

Thanks

Bryan