Sorter

I’m dragging on the tab of the sorter to resize, but I can’t get it to move. Any suggestions?

I know this sounds like voodoo, but… position your mouse pointer over the outmost edge of the tab, click and hold for a sec, then drag while still holding the mouse button down.

I find resizing of the sorter to be extremely finicky on my Powerbook. Perhaps there’s something to be done to make it more responsive. Or maybe it’s all in my head.

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn’t work for me. I’ve found the Sorter to be extremely flaky. I think I’ll just wait until the next beta release and deal with it then. It’s definitely not only in your head!

I find the importing via Sorter to be very slow on my MacBook (2.1GHz, 4GB RAM). Even just a URL which in 1.5.4 took seconds now takes close to a minute. I get a beachball each time. This is with Beta 3.

I don’t see any slowdown using the Sorter, even on my old MacBook Pro with 2 GB RAM and with several databases open. I sent in my ModBook (a custom Mac tablet based on a 2.2 GHz MacBook with 4 GB RAM) for a hardware upgrade and am missing it, as it’s faster than my first-generation MacBook Pro.

Whether I drag a 4 KB text file or a 488 KB PDF into a database Inbox slot, the Sorter closes in 2 to 3 seconds.

Perhaps you are seeing a slowdown resulting from heavy use of Virtual Memory. Try quitting DT Pro, then relaunching it. Now try the Sorter again.

Same here. It tends to disappear and reappear from the screen at will. A few times it’s hung and I had to force quit.

I don’t find it useful though it certainly has it’s merits for people who primarily like the dock metaphor/mousing to interact with their apps.

That doesn’t seem to make a difference. I keep 2 databases open with a total size between them of about 2.2GB (disk size).

The curious thing is that the Sorter is 20.68 MB (RSize)/1.15GB (VSize), DTPO is 236.97MB(RSize)/1.52GB(VSize) and the DevonDataHelper is 16.26MB/1.11GB. I don’t notice a big change in memory use when I drag to the Sorter. The Sorter CPU use spikes, but that’s about it. It’s quite a delay even for just a drag of a URL (e.g., of this page).

That’s because by default it will create a webarchive and that means it needs to download the URL again from the server, save it to disk etc. If you use Command-Option while dragging it will create a URL and this will be a lot faster.

Ahh. That makes some sense. I guess I’ll stick with the bookmarklets and drag on to the app icon. Certainly the bookmarklets seem faster (even the archive). I’m looking forward to the global inbox, though.

Would it be possible for Sorter to do this “in the background”, or at least hide it self and restore the mouse pointer?

Shovebox takes as long time, but it does the webarchive capturing in a way that enables me to “not have to see” what it is doing. I know that Sorter is not really “unresponsive” it just feels unresponsive.