Spreadsheet v Sheet confusion/frustration

You’re probably not only wishing for things like 5+7, but for formulas that can reference cells. And cell ranges? Which functions are you after – only addition, multiplication, subtraction and division? What about date arithmetic? IF conditions?

Right now, the difference between a sheet in DT and one in Numbers/Excel/Libre Office is clear cut. Adding functions to DT sheets will blur that distinction and make people want to have more. Like with MD editing, but MD is a text format with only limited possibilities. A spreadsheet is not: there will always something someone would like to see added (eg, I’m sorely missing macros in Numbers) Which takes developer’s time away from other tasks, to provide for functions already available in other products that integrate well with DT.

2 Likes

Which takes developer’s time away from other tasks, to provide for functions already available in other products that integrate well with DT.

I would agree with this heartily, though I understand the hopeful requests we get.
For lower-end functions, we can sometimes implement them as a convenience, value-added options. But replicating deeper functions already well-done in bespoke applications makes less sense.

From a market share standpoint, no one would abandon Excel for DEVONthink if we added some formulae. Not only would we have to offer the same functions, we’d have to offer much more and offer things no one else does. See our AI, search, organization functions, etc. in DEVONthink. Those are our core and while we have nips at our heels on occasion, those developers are in the same spot, trying to replicate what we already do better :smiling_face:

4 Likes