Starting again with DTPO 3

I have just upgraded from DT2. I never really got going with DT2 though I did use it for a while and I did transfer in a lot of files. All the old files came across into DT3 and I have been attempting to organise but it is a mammoth task.

I would now like to start afresh with DT3 and retain DT2 as an archive for now.

I did the upgrade deal and got a discount for DT3. Am I entitled to have two copies running in parallel for the time being?

What is the easiest way to reset DT3 so it is completely blank?

Am I entitled to have two copies running in parallel for the time being?

The purchase or upgrade to DEVONthink 3 comes with two seats - per-machine licenses, so you can install and register it on two Macs.

1. Close all the databases in DEVONthink.
  2. Quit DEVONthink.
  3. In the Finder, select the ​Go ​menu while holding the ​Option key​, then choose ​Library​.
  4. In the Application Support/DEVONthink 3 directory, move the Inbox.dtBase2 file to another location.
  5. Launch DEVONthink and a new Global Inbox will be created.

Also, you should delete the DEVONthink 2.x application from your /Applications folder and reboot the machine.

Thanks. I have actually managed to clear DT3 manually just by deleting everything. DT2 is also on my system and this contains all my old files. Is there any reason why I shouldn’t retain DT2 as an archive of my old files? I would like to go through them when I have time but for now just want a fresh start with DT3. I only have one Mac but have purchased DTG for use on iOS. Is having both DT2 and DT3 on my Mac going to mess up sync? Of course I am only trying to sync DT3 not DT2. The reason I am not just putting all the old files into a dedicated db on DT3 is that I don’t really want all the tags cluttering up DT3.

No you shouldn’t keep DEVONthink 2 on the same account, on the same machine. DEVONthink 3 uses the same bundle id as 2 and the operating system can get confused about what app is what.

Also, there is no need to keep 2 when 3 will open the same databases with no issue.

The reason I am not just putting all the old files into a dedicated db on DT3 is that I don’t really want all the tags cluttering up DT3.

Tags are per-database so the only “clutter” would be when that specific database is open.
But again, opening any particular database in DEVONthink is optional.