Starting from scratch. Re-installing DevonThink Pro

I have tried to sync to Devonthink to Go. But my database copies are not matching up and therefore I feel I have duplicate copies on my iMac.

Can I do a fresh re-install of Devonthink Pro by wiping all the information and then reload all DevonThink saved Databases after I have re-installed fresh application?

Keith Lucas

Why do you think that? It’s quite unlikely unless you’ve been manually copying or restoring databases from your backups to different locations.

Can I do a fresh re-install of Devonthink Pro by wiping all the information and then reload all DevonThink saved Databases after I have re-installed fresh application?

Can you? Sure. Should you? That’s a matter of opinion. Reinstallation is not an early troubleshooting option. It should be reserved for later in the process.

But my database copies are not matching up

This is what you should be focusing on… I have my suspicions, but you haven’t provided enough information to assess. Are you using a CloudKit sync?

Hi Jim
Yes I’m using iCloud sync. When I turn on Devonthink Pro and select a database. A notification comes up saying “The database you are trying to open seems to be either in use by another instance of DevonThink 3 or has not been closed properly the last time it was used.
Press “continue” to open the database anyway if you are sure it is not in use by another copy of DevonThink 3

Generally, that’s an indicator DEVONthink terminated abnormally – either a crash or force quit.
Did you press Continue? DEVONthink checks the health of the database and reports more with more detail in Window > Log.

This incident happens on every database I open.
I always press continue but not window and log. I will try it and let you know the outcome. But my instinct is still a corrupted system. Cheers Keith

Also where do I find windows/logs file.

Menu: Window → Log

If you forget, go to Menu: Help and search for “Log”.

Reinforcing the Resident Guru @Bluefrog, reinstall of the application will not (in all probability) fix your issue with the databases. Probably due to premature shutdown (by crash or by force quit) the databases weren’t closed and DEVONthink noticed on next start up. At minimum, open the database anyway and then look in the Log. Also do a Verify and Repair, and if that unsuccessful, Rebuild. If that does not work, restore from a good backup.

Read carefully the chapter in the “DEVONthink Manual” (and in Help), “REPAIRING A DEFECTIVE DATABASE”.

1 Like

That would be a rare occurrence and highly unlikely due to a sync.

You can also hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket.