Status Bar

Hi,

I think a status bar would be very helpful in DEVONagent. Mousing over a link and seeing where it will go helps a lot.

This is a point of contention between Christian and me, so far he’s winning. :slight_smile:

But if you look closely at the URL entry field, you will see that it displays the destination of a link there.

Annard,

The address bar is good enough for me. Thanks!

Not for me. :frowning:

The URL is frequently truncated in DA’s address bar. And when hovering over a link in Safari its status bar indicates the action (e.g. "Open … in a new {tab,window}, “Download …”) that will occur when the link is clicked in addition to its URL. There’s particularly useful visual feedback happening there that I’ve come to rely on and always miss in “browser” apps that don’t display it so I’d love a Safari-style status bar in DA and DT!

True. I would also like to see a status bar but was happy for the moment to see the link URL being shown somewhere.

I’d like to know Christian’s reason for not wanting a status bar in DA, especially if it can be trivially toggled on/off like Safari’s.

There will probably be an option in the future to turn on/off the status bar (although I don’t like status bars :slight_smile:)

I like status bars, especially Safari’s. :slight_smile:

Looks like a matter of personal preferences.

I side with Christian, as I don’t see the need for still another item on already busy screens, especially as the information is already available to me.

But choice is good, I suppose. :slight_smile:

I don’t like them for two reasons:

1. Moving the eyes to the top (the address bar) is IMHO more user friendly
  2. A status bar not showing the destination of links due to st*pid JavaScript infos is useless

It may suck up a few hundred megs of RAM and play poorly with Cocoa, but Firefox does allow you to disable the changing of the status bar/context menu/window size by Javascript :slight_smile:

I have long been into the habit of using the status bar for sanity checks, especially in web browsing. By now I’ve got quite a few extensions displaying info down there: a reverse dns lookup of the current page, an IDN warning, notices of java/javascript/flash/popups being blocked.

It didn’t take me long to figure out to look at DA’s address bar, but I’m not particularly fond of it. First, it takes me an extra half-second to remember to look there, so I end up looking down and then up. Second, it is hard to tell if the linked URL is on the same site as the current URL or not; I have to mouse on and off the link a few times to compare them.

One more vote for the status bar.