Still confused - Duplicates when using DTP

Hello All,

I am still confused and making things worse. I am trying to consolidate all my searchable PDFs so that I can find them.

So I had Evernote store a lot of documents they made searchable on the plan
Some downloaded PDFs, that is searchable
And some new updated files that I’ve recently scanned with my new scanner, ix500 which has made them searchable.

I’ve added Evernote to DTP
Extracted everything out of Evernote and pushed them through Finereader to make them searchable
Have moved all searchable PDFs into a Dropbox Folder
Run DTP

Seemed to have copies of everything all over the place, duplicates etc and I’ve just spawned a monster.

What I am confused about is. When you add a folder to DTP, does it copy the files into its own folder? I seem to have duplicate Gigabytes of PDFs flying all over the place and I am trying to tame it down.

What I was trying to achieve was to get Hazel, to read the files, and rename them by content and file it into folders but the who plan is turning into a nightmare.

Can someone steer me please :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers
Mik

Yes, they are copied.

There are two methods of putting data in a DEVONthink database.

1. Importing copies files into the internal structure of the database. This creates a portable, self-contained database that can be moved as a single file. This is the default behavior of DEVONthink. .
  2. Indexing creates links to files outside the database. This allows more direct access to the files in the Finder by other applications or people. (A common example is people using a cloud service like Dropbox and indexing folders in the local Dropbox folders.)
    It is best used on fairly static locations, ie. you’re not moving the folders around in the Finder and renaming them. However, if you do index a location, you can update it in the database and it will change to reflect the changes in the Finder.
    Note: Indexing should be approached thoughtfully, and a search on our Forums regarding the matter is advisable.