Stream annotations from your PDF reading sessions with DEVONthink

No this is super. I am NOT a programmer, but I do use Applescript and I learn by looking at code written by people who know what they are doing.

1 Like

Now that I’ve looked at the code, I’m not sure what could be causing the “move to the target group” function to fail for you. That part of the script involves only four lines:

1. give the script your group’s UUID (property summaryNotesGroupUUID : "E940D2EB-5B4A-4D29-B64F-E585AA756826")
  2. get the targeted group (set summaryNotesGroup to get record with uuid summaryNotesGroupUUID)
  3. create the extracted highlights record in the inbox (set highlightsSummary to summarize highlights of records eachRecord as list to markdown in incoming group) — “in incoming group” indicates the global inbox
  4. move the extracted highlights record to the targeted group (move record highlightsSummary from incoming group to summaryNotesGroup)

Alas. Maybe someone else will have the same trouble and we can triangulate.

In the meantime, add these lines…

-- Add a tag to be able to easily find summary notes later
set tags of highlightsSummary to (tags of highlightsSummary) & "extracted_highlights"

…below the line set name of highlightsSummary to annotationNoteName

and configure “extracted_highlights” to be whatever tag you desire. Then make your Smart Rule to move files with that tag from the Inbox to your desired group.

1 Like

It makes obfuscacted C look readable to me as well.

AFAIK, there is no debugger or debug option for Apple Script/Shortcuts. They are “magic” and do not need any debugging. [Irony Mode]

[Sorry for the OT]

2 Likes

I’m sure that average users and experienced developers have a completely different opinion about that :smiley:

2 Likes

Still trying to get the previous stuff working, I may eventually work the script back to simplest form, then build up.

In mean time I have two different questions:

• Is there a way to extract other metadata from DT and embed in the YAML? Specifically tags; author; origin URL
  • Is there an elegant way to move the Markdown files to Obsidian?

Harebrained ideas:

• Index my Obsidian Vault with DT, then my Obsidian File Structure is visible to DT (ugh pollutes or complicates my DT searches)
  • Create a halfway house DT database in regular filesystem then watch the folders with Hazel and have it move the files
  • In the existing Applescript that you wrote just embed the knowledge of where the Obsidian vault is.
  • use Magic.

I’ve built a set of scripts to do exactly that, you might get some inspiration from that: Automatically capture and annotate items (to use with Obsidian) (e.g. check out the Markdown Annotation Helper)

Index a (sub)folder of your Obsidian vault and move the notes there using DT

You don’t have to index your whole vault (I do, but that’s all based on preference). Just index the subfolder that has your Markdown notes related to DT documents.

3 Likes

I’ve been playing around with this… does DEVONthink’s scripting engine (not sure if that’s the right term) have any way of seeing a PDF document’s annotations, one by one, such that I could inspect and use each annotation’s metadata?

@mdbraber’s solutions are close to mine. I generate a “literature note” for each reading. That note includes a dataview query to catch all reading sessions. All of my notes for this purpose are in an indexed Obsidian vault.

I’m thinking exactly the same. I just noticed that the notations are actually in order of when they were made (rather than the order of the text they appear in). It would be great to specify the order in which they appear by their metadata. I’m thinking it should also be possible to do this using ASObjC (using Quartz). Maybe @pete31 might have some pointers if that already has been done somewhere (as he seems most knowledgeable about ASObjC and PDF)

Going through another app (Skim) is also an option, but makes this less of a background process. Ideally all of this happens in the background!

Edit: just for posterity, here’s the Skim script I was playing around with:

on checkInSkim()
	tell application id "DNtp"
		set theRecords to get the selection
		set firstRecord to the first item in theRecords
		set filePath to (get the path of firstRecord)
		set filePath to (POSIX file filePath) as Unicode text
		tell application "Skim"
			open file filePath
			convert notes document 1
			repeat with eachNote in document 1's notes
				display dialog eachNote's text & return & eachNote's modification date as text
			end repeat
		end tell
	end tell
end checkInSkim

I’m a bit confused. Didn’t test in what order annotations are actually returned by DEVONthink’s AppleScript, however this

and this

doesn’t go together. Could you clarify what exactly you need?

Returning annotations sorted by either the date added or their appearance in the PDF should both be possible (tomorrow, I think).

My idea is that when you use the summarize highlights function it seems to me they’re exported based on the date created. I think that’s what @ryanjamurphy is actually looking for. I’m actually looking for the order based on their visual place (bounding box and page)

ha, I thought the opposite! I may have just assumed they show in the summary in the order they appear…

I’ll see if I race Pete to testing this tomorrow.

Not as hard as I thought once the structure of ASObjC becomes clear. Here’s how to access annotations and their properties:

use AppleScript version "2.4" -- Yosemite (10.10) or later
use scripting additions
use framework "Foundation"
use framework "Quartz"

set theRecords to (selection as list)
	repeat with theRecord in theRecords
		set thePath to path of theRecord
		my readAnnotations(thePath)
	end repeat
end tell

on readAnnotations(thePath)
	set thePDF to current application's PDFDocument's alloc()'s initWithURL:(current application's |NSURL|'s fileURLWithPath:thePath)
	set theAnnotationsArray to current application's NSMutableArray's new()
	repeat with i from 0 to ((thePDF's |pageCount|()) - 1)
		set thePage to (thePDF's pageAtIndex:i)
		set theAnnotations to thePage's annotations()
		repeat with theAnnotation in theAnnotations
			if theAnnotation's |type|() as string is "Highlight" then
				set thePosY to second item of (first item of theAnnotation's |bounds|())
				set theHighlight to theAnnotation's |textMarkupString|() as string
				set theComment to theAnnotation's |contents|() as string
				(theAnnotationsArray's addObject:{page:i, posY:thePosY, highlight:theHighlight, comment:theComment})
			end if
		end repeat
	end repeat

set theDescriptorPage to current application's NSSortDescriptor's sortDescriptorWithKey:"page" ascending:true
	set theDescriptorPosY to current application's NSSortDescriptor's sortDescriptorWithKey:"posY" ascending:true
	set theAnnotationsList to (theAnnotationsArray's sortedArrayUsingDescriptors:{theDescriptorPage, theDescriptorPosY}) as list

repeat with theAnnotation in theAnnotationsList
		log theAnnotation's posY
		log theAnnotation's highlight
	end repeat
end readAnnotations
1 Like

@mdbraber Interesting. I’ll play with that, thanks!

I tested the default ordering of annotations from Summarize Highlights.

Annotations primarily appear in the order of the pages they’re on. E.g., page 1’s highlights are at the top, page 2’s are next, etc.

Then, for each page, annotations are sorted by how recently they were created. The oldest one is first, the newest one is last.

In other words, these annotation automation tools we’re building definitely need some way of arraying and re-sorting annotations!

Neat. This is my first time playing with ASObjC.

Using the documentation on PDF Annotations here, I was able to query each annotation’s modification date and sort that way, too.

Script (a slight modification of @mdbraber’s above):

use scripting additions
use framework "Quartz"

on checkInDT()
		set theRecords to (selection as list)
		repeat with theRecord in theRecords
			set thePath to path of theRecord
			my readAnnotations(thePath)
		end repeat
	end tell
end checkInDT

on readAnnotations(thePath)
	set thePDF to current application's PDFDocument's alloc()'s initWithURL:(current application's |NSURL|'s fileURLWithPath:thePath)
			log theAnnotation's |modificationDate|()
				set theHighlight to theAnnotation's |textMarkupString|() as string
				set theComment to theAnnotation's |contents|() as string
				set theModificationDate to theAnnotation's |modificationDate|()
				(theAnnotationsArray's addObject:{page:i, posY:thePosY, highlight:theHighlight, comment:theComment, modificationDate:theModificationDate})
			end if
		end repeat
	end repeat

set theDescriptorPage to current application's NSSortDescriptor's sortDescriptorWithKey:"page" ascending:true
	set theDescriptorPosY to current application's NSSortDescriptor's sortDescriptorWithKey:"posY" ascending:true
	set theDescriptorModificationDate to current application's NSSortDescriptor's sortDescriptorWithKey:"modificationDate" ascending:true
	set theAnnotationsList to (theAnnotationsArray's sortedArrayUsingDescriptors:{theDescriptorModificationDate}) as list

repeat with theAnnotation in theAnnotationsList
		log theAnnotation
	end repeat
end readAnnotations

Now to see if this will integrate well with the stream annotations workflow… I’m a bit worried that diving into ASObjC will cause the same issues when executing from a smart rule that I saw over here: Smart Rule fails only when triggered as a smart rule: (Can’t get name of «class DTcn» id 1296597 of «class DTkb» id 2.)

The next release will automatically sort them (from top/left to bottom/right) when using Tools > Summarize

4 Likes

I’ll just put this here for now, so it might prevent others from having to write the same code twice. It’s not an easy turn-key solution yet for most, but it might give you some ideas.

This code gets highlights and comments from both a PDF and a Markdown annotations and merges them as one list. The markdown file should look like this (in my case I presume Markdown frontmatter, but you can change the regex in getSections() in the Markdown annotation helper to anything else (it splits a markdown file in three sections: frontmatter, info (title and excerpt) and other content.

---
date: 2022-05-08 22:43
url: https://annehelen.substack.com/p/youre-still-not-working-from-home
itemurl: x-devonthink-item://5C89CF00-7BD6-4FFC-AF02-3440C9EA7035
annotationurl: x-devonthink-item://A6B3D685-D6F5-4626-9197-1F47EFE6771F
path: you're still not working from home.pdf
tags: [00-review]
---

excerpt:: This is the Sunday edition of Culture Study — the newsletter from Anne Helen Petersen, which you can read about here. If you like it and want more like it in your inbox, consider subscribing. A very weird thing about writing books = you often start thinking about your next one as you’re in the process of promoting the current one. I finished the fact checking and copy editing process on

> Until recently, massive implementation of work from home seemed

Comment A

> This is the dark truth of the WFH Forever revolution. It promises to liberate workers from the chains of the oEce. But in practice, it capitalizes on the total collapse of work-life balance. We know this from experience; a5er more than six months of working from home, you also know this from experience.

Comment B

The annotations should be exactly like they appear when copy pasting from the PDF, so any errors in the text-layer are also represented here (and in this case there are quite a few). On the plus side: this makes it possible to use these text strings in a search command for x-devonthink-item URLs, see: Additional resources - Automatically capture and annotate items: DEVONthink helper, Smart rule scripts, JS/Markdown helper - #15 by mdbraber

It can also write annotations back to the PDF (see addAnnotations in DEVONthink helper). I’ll be happy to add some more context / how to later. I’m using the functions within Markdown Annotation helper scripts that do more things, hence the longer string of functions to process markdown from an annotation file. Also see this for more context: Automatically capture and annotate items (to use with Obsidian)

To use these script you’ll also need RegexAndStuffLib Script Library - AppleScript - Late Night Software Ltd. for the RegexAndStuff library.

use scripting additions
use framework "Quartz"
use script "RegexAndStuffLib" version "1.0.7"

repeat with theRecords in (selection as list)
		set itemPath to path of theRecord
		set maRecord to annotation of theRecord
		set maText to plain text of maRecord
		set maAnnotations to ma's getAnnotationsFromText(maText)
		set annotationsMerged to DT's getAnnotationsMerged(itemPath, maAnnotations)
		set theText to ""
		repeat with theAnnotation in annotationsMerged
			set theText to theText & "> " & theAnnotation's highlight & "\n\n"
			if theAnnotation's comment is not missing value and theAnnotation's comment ≠ "" then set theText to theText & theAnnotation's comment & "\n\n"
		end repeat
		log theText
	end repeat
end tell
DEVONthink helper functions
on _processAnnotations(thePath, theItems, theHighlightColorIndex, boolAdd)
	try
		set theItems to (current application's NSArray's arrayWithArray:theItems)
		set theSelectionsArray to current application's NSMutableArray's new()

repeat with i from 0 to ((theItems's |count|()) - 1)
			set thisItem to (theItems's objectAtIndex:i)
			set thisSearchTerm to ((current application's NSArray's arrayWithArray:thisItem)'s objectAtIndex:0)
			set thisComment to ((current application's NSArray's arrayWithArray:thisItem)'s objectAtIndex:1)

set theResultSelections to (thePDF's findString:thisSearchTerm withOptions:0)
			if theResultSelections's |count|() ≠ 0 then
				set theSelectionsArray to my _addSelectionToSelectionsArray(thisSearchTerm, theResultSelections, thisComment, theSelectionsArray)
			else
				set thisSearchTerm_Components to (thisSearchTerm's componentsSeparatedByString:space)
				repeat with j from 0 to ((thisSearchTerm_Components's |count|()) - 1)
					set theseSearchTerm_Components_1 to (thisSearchTerm_Components's subarrayWithRange:{0, (thisSearchTerm_Components's |count|()) - j})
					set thisSearchTerm_Part_1 to (theseSearchTerm_Components_1's componentsJoinedByString:space)
					set theResultSelections to (thePDF's findString:thisSearchTerm_Part_1 withOptions:0)
						set theSelectionsArray to my _addSelectionToSelectionsArray(thisSearchTerm_Part_1, theResultSelections, thisComment, theSelectionsArray)
						set thisLocation to (theseSearchTerm_Components_1's |count|())
						set thisLength to (thisSearchTerm_Components's |count|()) - thisLocation
						set theseSearchTerm_Components_2 to (thisSearchTerm_Components's subarrayWithRange:{thisLocation, thisLength})
						set thisSearchTerm_Part_2 to (theseSearchTerm_Components_2's componentsJoinedByString:space)
						set theResultSelections to (thePDF's findString:thisSearchTerm_Part_2 withOptions:0)
							set theSelectionsArray to my _addSelectionToSelectionsArray(thisSearchTerm_Part_2, theResultSelections, thisComment, theSelectionsArray)
						end if
						exit repeat
					end if
				end repeat
			end if
		end repeat

set theDeeperLookArray to current application's NSMutableArray's new()

repeat with i from 0 to ((theItems's |count|()) - 1)
			set thisSearchTerm to ((current application's NSArray's arrayWithArray:(theItems's objectAtIndex:i))'s objectAtIndex:0)
			repeat with j from 0 to ((theItems's |count|()) - 1)
				set thatSearchTerm to ((current application's NSArray's arrayWithArray:(theItems's objectAtIndex:j))'s objectAtIndex:0)
				if (thisSearchTerm's containsString:thatSearchTerm) and not (thisSearchTerm's isEqualTo:thatSearchTerm) then
					(theDeeperLookArray's addObject:thatSearchTerm)
				end if
			end repeat
		end repeat

if theHighlightColorIndex < 1 or theHighlightColorIndex > 7 then error "No valid HighlightColor index. Valid: 1-7"
		if current application's id = "com.devon-technologies.think3" then
			set theDefaults to current application's NSUserDefaults's standardUserDefaults()
		else
			set theDefaults to current application's NSUserDefaults's alloc()'s initWithSuiteName:"com.devon-technologies.think3"
		end if
		set theDictionary to (theDefaults's dictionaryRepresentation())'s dictionaryWithValuesForKeys:{"HighlightColor-0", "HighlightColor-1", "HighlightColor-2", "HighlightColor-3", "HighlightColor-4", "HighlightColor-5", "HighlightColor-6"}
		set theColorDictionary to theDictionary's objectForKey:("HighlightColor-" & ((theHighlightColorIndex - 1) as string))
		set theRed to current application's NSNumber's numberWithDouble:((theColorDictionary's valueForKey:"red"))
		set theGreen to current application's NSNumber's numberWithDouble:((theColorDictionary's valueForKey:"green"))
		set theBlue to current application's NSNumber's numberWithDouble:((theColorDictionary's valueForKey:"blue"))
		set theAlpha to current application's NSNumber's numberWithDouble:((theColorDictionary's valueForKey:"alpha"))
		set theHighlightColor to current application's NSColor's colorWithCalibratedRed:theRed green:theGreen blue:theBlue alpha:theAlpha
		set theDocumentAuthor to (theDefaults's dictionaryRepresentation())'s stringForKey:"DocumentAuthor"
		set theAnnotationSubtype to current application's PDFAnnotationSubtypeHighlight
		set theAnnotationProperties to current application's NSMutableDictionary's new()
		(theAnnotationProperties's setObject:theHighlightColor forKey:(current application's PDFAnnotationKeyColor))

repeat with i from 0 to ((theSelectionsArray's |count|()) - 1)
			set thisItem to (theSelectionsArray's objectAtIndex:i)
			set thisSearchTerm to (thisItem's valueForKey:"SearchTerm")
			set thisComment to (thisItem's valueForKey:"Comment")
			set thisResultSelection_BoundsForPage to (thisItem's valueForKey:"Selection_BoundsForPage")
			set thisResultSelection_Lines_QuadPointsArray to (thisItem's valueForKey:"Selection_Lines_QuadPoints")
			set createAnnotation to true

if (theDeeperLookArray's containsObject:thisSearchTerm) then
				set thisResultSelection_Page_Label to (thisItem's valueForKey:"Selection_Page_Label")
				set thisSelectionsArray_filtered to (theSelectionsArray's filteredArrayUsingPredicate:(current application's NSPredicate's predicateWithFormat:("self.Selection_Page_Label = " & quoted form of (thisResultSelection_Page_Label as string) & " AND " & "self.SearchTerm CONTAINS " & quoted form of (thisSearchTerm as string) & " AND " & "!self.SearchTerm = " & quoted form of (thisSearchTerm as string))))
				repeat with j from 0 to ((thisSelectionsArray_filtered's |count|()) - 1)
					set thatItem to (thisSelectionsArray_filtered's objectAtIndex:j)
					set thatResultSelection_BoundsForPage to (thatItem's valueForKey:"Selection_BoundsForPage")
					set thatResultSelection_Lines_QuadPointsArray to (thatItem's valueForKey:"Selection_Lines_QuadPoints")
					set intersectsBoundsForPage to current application's NSIntersectsRect(thisResultSelection_BoundsForPage, thatResultSelection_BoundsForPage)
					if intersectsBoundsForPage then
						repeat with k from 0 to ((thisResultSelection_Lines_QuadPointsArray's |count|()) - 1) by 4
							set thisResultSelection_Line_QuadPoints to (thisResultSelection_Lines_QuadPointsArray's subarrayWithRange:{k, 4})
							set thisResultSelection_Line_Bounds to my makeRect(thisResultSelection_Line_QuadPoints)
							repeat with l from 0 to ((thatResultSelection_Lines_QuadPointsArray's |count|()) - 1) by 4
								set thatResultSelection_Line_QuadPoints to (thatResultSelection_Lines_QuadPointsArray's subarrayWithRange:{l, 4})
								set thatResultSelection_Line_Bounds to my makeRect(thatResultSelection_Line_QuadPoints)
								set intersectsBoundsForLine to current application's NSIntersectsRect(thisResultSelection_Line_Bounds, thatResultSelection_Line_Bounds)
								if intersectsBoundsForLine then
									set createAnnotation to false
									exit repeat
								end if
							end repeat
							if intersectsBoundsForLine then exit repeat
						end repeat
						if intersectsBoundsForLine then exit repeat
					end if
				end repeat
			end if

if createAnnotation then
				set thisDate to (current application's NSDate's |date|())
				(theAnnotationProperties's setObject:thisDate forKey:(current application's PDFAnnotationKeyDate))
				set thisAnnotation to (current application's PDFAnnotation's alloc()'s initWithBounds:(thisResultSelection_BoundsForPage) forType:theAnnotationSubtype withProperties:theAnnotationProperties)

set thisAnnotation_QuadPoints to current application's NSMutableArray's new()
				repeat with i from 0 to ((thisResultSelection_Lines_QuadPointsArray's |count|()) - 1)
					(thisAnnotation_QuadPoints's addObject:(current application's NSValue's valueWithPoint:(thisResultSelection_Lines_QuadPointsArray's objectAtIndex:i)))
				end repeat
				(thisAnnotation's setValue:(thisAnnotation_QuadPoints) forAnnotationKey:(current application's PDFAnnotationKeyQuadPoints))
				if not (theDocumentAuthor's isEqualTo:"") then (thisAnnotation's setUserName:theDocumentAuthor)
				set thisResultSelection_Page to (thisItem's valueForKey:"Selection_Page")

if boolAdd then
					if thisComment ≠ "" then
						-- add popup	
						set popupAnnotationSubtype to current application's PDFAnnotationSubtypePopup
						set popupAnnotation to (current application's PDFAnnotation's alloc()'s initWithBounds:(thisResultSelection_BoundsForPage) forType:popupAnnotationSubtype withProperties:theAnnotationProperties)
						(thisAnnotation's setValue:thisComment forAnnotationKey:(current application's PDFAnnotationKeyContents))
						(thisAnnotation's setValue:popupAnnotation forAnnotationKey:(current application's PDFAnnotationKeyPopup))
					end if
					(thisResultSelection_Page's addAnnotation:thisAnnotation)
				else
					set thisPosX to first item of (first item of thisAnnotation's |bounds|())
					set thisPosY to second item of (first item of thisAnnotation's |bounds|())
					(theAnnotationsArray's addObject:{page:(thisResultSelection_Page's label as integer) - 1, posY:thisPosY, posX:thisPosX, highlight:thisSearchTerm, comment:thisComment, isDuplicate:false})
				end if
			end if
		end repeat

if boolAdd then
			thePDF's writeToFile:thePath
		else
			return my sortAnnotationsArray(theAnnotationsArray)
			-- return theAnnotationsArray
		end if

on error error_message number error_number
		activate
		if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "Error: Handler \"addHighlightAnnotations\"" message error_message as warning
		error number -128
	end try
end _processAnnotations

on _addSelectionToSelectionsArray(thisSearchTerm, theResultSelections, theComment, theSelectionsArray)
	try
		repeat with i from 0 to ((theResultSelections's |count|()) - 1)
			set thisResultSelection to (theResultSelections's objectAtIndex:i)
			set thisResultSelection_Pages to thisResultSelection's pages()
			repeat with j from 0 to ((thisResultSelection_Pages's |count|()) - 1)
				set thisResultSelection_Page to (thisResultSelection_Pages's objectAtIndex:j)
				set thisResultSelection_BoundsForPage to (thisResultSelection's boundsForPage:thisResultSelection_Page)
				set thisResultSelection_Lines to thisResultSelection's selectionsByLine
				set thisResultSelection_Lines_QuadPointsArray to current application's NSMutableArray's new()
				repeat with k from 0 to ((thisResultSelection_Lines's |count|()) - 1)
					set thisResultSelection_Line to (thisResultSelection_Lines's objectAtIndex:k)
					set thisResultSelection_Line_Page to (thisResultSelection_Line's pages())'s firstObject()
					if (thisResultSelection_Line_Page's isEqualTo:thisResultSelection_Page) then
						set thisResultSelection_Line_BoundsForPage to (thisResultSelection_Line's boundsForPage:thisResultSelection_Line_Page)
						set thisResultSelection_Line_BoundsForPage to current application's NSRect's NSInsetRect(thisResultSelection_Line_BoundsForPage, -1, -1) -- DEVONthink recognizes text more reliably
						set MinX to current application's NSRect's NSMinX(thisResultSelection_Line_BoundsForPage)
						set MinY to current application's NSRect's NSMinY(thisResultSelection_Line_BoundsForPage)
						set MaxX to current application's NSRect's NSMaxX(thisResultSelection_Line_BoundsForPage)
						set MaxY to current application's NSRect's NSMaxY(thisResultSelection_Line_BoundsForPage)
						(thisResultSelection_Lines_QuadPointsArray's addObject:{MinX, MaxY})
						(thisResultSelection_Lines_QuadPointsArray's addObject:{MaxX, MaxY})
						(thisResultSelection_Lines_QuadPointsArray's addObject:{MinX, MinY})
						(thisResultSelection_Lines_QuadPointsArray's addObject:{MaxX, MinY})
					end if
				end repeat
				set thisResultSelection_Page_Label to thisResultSelection_Page's label()
				(theSelectionsArray's addObject:{Selection_Page:thisResultSelection_Page, Selection_Page_Label:thisResultSelection_Page_Label, Selection_BoundsForPage:thisResultSelection_BoundsForPage, Selection_Lines_QuadPoints:thisResultSelection_Lines_QuadPointsArray, SearchTerm:thisSearchTerm, |Comment|:theComment})
			end repeat
		end repeat
		return theSelectionsArray
		activate
		if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "Error: Handler \"_addSelectionToSelectionsArray\"" message error_message as warning
		error number -128
	end try
end _addSelectionToSelectionsArray

on addAnnotations(thePath, theItems, theHighlightColorIndex)
	return my _processAnnotations(thePath, theItems, theHighlightColorIdex, true)
end addAnnotations

on getAnnotationsFromPDFMatch(thePath, theItems)
	return my _processAnnotations(thePath, theItems, 1, false)
end getAnnotationsFromPDFMatch

on getAnnotationsFromPDF(thePath)
				set thePosX to first item of (first item of theAnnotation's |bounds|())
				set theHighlight to theAnnotation's |textMarkupString|()
				set theComment to theAnnotation's |contents|()
				(theAnnotationsArray's addObject:{page:i, posY:thePosY, posX:thePosX, highlight:theHighlight, comment:theComment, isDuplicate:false})
			end if
		end repeat
	end repeat

return my sortAnnotationsArray(theAnnotationsArray)
	-- return theAnnotationsArray
end getAnnotationsFromPDF

on getAnnotationsMerged(thePath, theItems)
	set annotationsFromMarkdown to my getAnnotationsFromPDFMatch(thePath, theItems)
	set annotationsFromPDF to my getAnnotationsFromPDF(thePath)
	return my mergeAnnotationsArray(annotationsFromMarkdown, annotationsFromPDF) as list
end getAnnotationsMerged

on mergeAnnotationsArray(theAnnotationsArrayA, theAnnotationsArrayB)
	set theMergedArray to current application's NSMutableArray's new()
	set uniqueHighlightsFromB to (theAnnotationsArrayB's filteredArrayUsingPredicate:(current application's NSPredicate's predicateWithFormat:("NOT self.highlight IN %@") argumentArray:{(theAnnotationsArrayA's valueForKey:"highlight")}))
	(theMergedArray's addObjectsFromArray:(theAnnotationsArrayA))
	(theMergedArray's addObjectsFromArray:(uniqueHighlightsFromB))
	return my sortAnnotationsArray(theMergedArray)
end mergeAnnotationsArray

on sortAnnotationsArray(theAnnotationsArray)
	set theDescriptorPosY to current application's NSSortDescriptor's sortDescriptorWithKey:"posY" ascending:false
	set theDescriptorPosX to current application's NSSortDescriptor's sortDescriptorWithKey:"posX" ascending:true
	return theAnnotationsArray's sortedArrayUsingDescriptors:{theDescriptorPage, theDescriptorPosY, theDescriptorPosX}
end sortAnnotationsArray

on makeRect(theSelection_QuadPoints)
	try
		set theSelection_QuadPoints to (theSelection_QuadPoints as list)
		set MinX to theSelection_QuadPoints's item 1's item 1
		set MinY to theSelection_QuadPoints's item 3's item 2
		set theWidth to (theSelection_QuadPoints's item 2's item 1) - MinX
		set theHeight to (theSelection_QuadPoints's item 1's item 2) - MinY
		set theRect to current application's NSRect's NSMakeRect(MinX, MinY, theWidth, theHeight)
		activate
		if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "Error: Handler \"makeRect\"" message error_message as warning
		error number -128
	end try
end makeRect

on tid(theInput, theDelimiter)
	set d to AppleScript's text item delimiters
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to theDelimiter
	if class of theInput = text then
		set theOutput to text items of theInput
	else if class of theInput = list then
		set theOutput to theInput as text
	end if
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to d
	return theOutput
end tid

Markdown Annotation helper functions
use script "RegexAndStuffLib" version "1.0.7"
use DT : script "DEVONthink helper"
use scripting additions

on getSections(maText)
	-- item 1: frontmatter
	-- item 2: info (title and excerpt)
	-- item 3: content
	-- set maSections to regex split maText search pattern "^---$"
	set maSections to regex search maText search pattern "^---\n(.*?)\n---\n*((?:.*?# .*?(?:\n|$))?\n*(?:[Ee]xcerpt::.*?(?:\n|$))?)\n*(.*)" capture groups {1, 2, 3} with dot matches all
	if maSections is equal to {} or ((count of maSections) > 0 and ((count of (item 1 of maSections)) < 2)) then error "Markdown file not properly formatted (no frontmatter section?)"
	return item 1 of maSections
end getSections

on getContentFromList(maSections)
	return item 3 of maSections
end getContentFromList

on getContentFromText(maText)
	set maSections to getSections(maText)
	return my getContentFromList(maSections)
end getContentFromText

on getContent(maText)
	return my getContentFromText(maText)
end getContent

on getAnnotationsFromText(maText)
	set theContent to my getContent(maText)
	-- Fix for 3.8.3 putting preceding comments with blockquote
	set theResults to regex search theContent search pattern "(?<=>)\\s*(.*?)\n*(?=(?:>|$))" capture groups 1 with dot matches all without anchors match lines

set theAnnotations to {}
	repeat with theResult in theResults
		set end of theAnnotations to first item of (regex search theResult search pattern "(.*)\n*(.*)" capture groups {1, 2})
	end repeat

return theAnnotations
end getAnnotationsFromText
2 Likes

I feel the same about AS, that’s why I’m using JavaScript instead. You’ll find some hints and examples for DT (and other apps) here:

Disclosure: That’s my site.

1 Like

I’m probably overlooking something here.

In Markdown Annotation helper functions, getSections uses regex search, and I can’t see where that’s defined.

My bad - I forgot to include the use statement. I’ve updated the scripts. I’m using RegexStuffAndLib for things like regex matching, string conversion etc. It’s really nicely made (including a dictionary) by Shane Stanley (author of Script Debugger). See RegexAndStuffLib Script Library - AppleScript - Late Night Software Ltd.