Stupid Question. Quick Notes.

Great another vote for this feature.

In case you missed it though earlier on in this thread the DevonThink folk said “stay tuned” hinting that they might have something in plan for this problem.

I use the following Applescript tied to a keystroke combo through Quicksilver. It opens a small window where you can type your text. Separate the title of the note from the rest with a semicolon “;” and hit “enter” (not “return”) to send it to Devonthink’s incoming group. I use it with Devonthink 1.5.2 and have not tried with DT2. Feel free to tailor to your wishes, including time stamps etc.

tell application "DEVONthink Pro"
	activate
	set theString to text returned of (display dialog "Take a quick note: " default answer return & return & return & return)
	set tid to AppleScript's text item delimiters
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ";"
	set theTitle to text item 1 of theString
	set theText to theString
	set theRecord to create record with {name:theTitle, type:rtf, rich text:theText} in the incoming group
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to tid
end tell

1 Like

Hi Bill - the date/time stamp key combination didn’t work for me - is it correct as typed above? Also, is there a handy listing of many such keyboard shortcuts? Thanks! Keith

There is a fantastic tool called Keycue. To use it you hold down the command key for a few seconds and a context-sensitive list of available keyboard shortcuts appears as a HUD on your screen.

I use Bean to write quick RTF notes and such. To insert a time/date stamp Keycue lists cmd-% (which is cmd-shift-5 as Billl notes above) for the long time/date stamp, and lists cmd-_ (cmd-shift-hyphen). Keycue is available at Version Tracker and other such sites.

-Tod

Corrected to add: cmd-_ (cmd-shift-hyphen) is the key combination for a shortened date/time string.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks very much for the response, but it still doesn’t work for me. I downloaded Keycue, and I don’t see any indication of a date/time stamp keyboard shortcut. Maybe there is a setting that needs to be changed, but I haven’t been able to figure it out. Any other ideas? I’m running 2.0pb4. Thanks again.

A picture is worth a thousand words:

date.png

See highlight in red. Bean document is in background.

-Tod

Sorry, sometimes I forget that those neat Services added by WordService 2.7 are not default in OS X. Check out the free goodies on the DEVONtech Download page. :slight_smile:

Install WordService, then logout/login. Now try Shift-Command-5 - Bean isn’t required.

Oh Phooey! I’d also forgotten that this was part of WS.2.7! :blush: It’s just always “been there” whenever I’ve needed it.

You’re right - Bean isn’t required; I was using it simply as the example of a text editor where I was able to insert date/time stamps.

@KeithKendrick: Geez, I feel so embarrassed about misleading you this way. OTOH we’ve learned about the free Word Service deal.

Have a good weekend folks! :laughing:

Did something like this make it into 2.0 P5? I have looked but can’t find anything?

Then obviously it didn’t make it! Because if you read the Release Notes, you’ll see it mentioned there. What really happened is that an Apple bug prohibited us from shipping it because we weren’t happy with the way it worked. But it will be coming because we do listen to our customers.