Subscription Licensing Model?

1. I understand, and I’m not looking for perfection but rather a move in that direction. At the very least, greater similarity between the UI, particularly on iPad Pro.
  2. I understand that backgroud sync cannot work as you currently have DT set up. But background sync is available in other applications that have their own sync service. My hope was that perhaps you’d roll your own sync service for which I’d be willing to pay monthly, as I understand that this incurs a recurring cost for you.
  3. That’s fine. I’m not asking for your company to divulge these operational details, I’m merely expressing a hope.
  4. I know there’s no word yet on pricing or family sharing, again I’m just expressing a desire.
  5. Yeah, today it is not. But I was quite hopeful that there might be plans to make indexing possible if the folders in question live within iCloud Drive. Again, another one for the wishlist.

What a remarkably strange comment. My grandmother never worked as an Über driver in her life. Does that say anything about the gig economy, and her moral stance toward it? Or is it perhaps the case that working as an Über driver wasn’t an option ever available to my grandmother?

I am, of course, making the assumption that your profile photograph is of yourself, and the person in that photograph looks to be older than my father. Which would almost certainly make your grandmother older than my own, who is now dead. But I could certainly be mistaken, and your grandmother could be my age, very much alive, and deliberately avoiding software subscriptions.

I think we should just accept that subscription is a reality now. Just like mortgages, utilities, school fees. We can fight it ad nauseam but it’s futile imo. They are making a business decision and may offer interim transition options. I’ve been through much worse when developers changed their business models, and thankfully that is not the case here.

1 Like

I think the comment was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. If so, it reminds of this true story: in around 1970, a UK school economics exam had the following question:

“For any one year, state the number of cars exported from Britain to the United States.”

One candidate answered: “In 1660, there were none”

4 Likes

That wouldn’t surprise me, I cold have just missed the tone in the text. I’m also tired of seeing this topic discussed for weeks on end when there’s nothing new to say anymore, so I probably let that get the better of me when reading that comment. I’ll just assume my brain made a dumb mistake somewhere.

Nothing the internet does better than support endless speculation about things that haven’t happened and might not happen. Time to repost this relevant (IMO) Marx Brothers scene:

Yeah, sorry, you missed that we were playfully pointing out different positions to one another - it was pretty cordial banter :slight_smile: not to worry :+1:t2:

It was, as has been pointed out, just a joke. Neither of my grandmothers were troubled by software subscriptions, as far as I know.

My Great Aunt, on the other hand… Sheesh! She was 105 years old in March and is still furious that Adobe moved to a subscription model.

She does use Photoshop every day though so, you know, it’s probably worth it for her. It stops her from getting bored whilst her father is out of the house on his Uber shift.

4 Likes

You and @Blanc are doing a decent Abbott and Costello routine :wink: :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you.

I like DEVONthink very much. It’s reliable, extremely flexible and I’ve come to think of it as my “Happy Place”. And your prompt and helpful respones in the forum have been the icing on the cake.

I hope leaving a comment about subscription software wasn’t inappropriate and I look forward to learning the details when there’s an announcement. In the meantime, I’ll try to keep it light. Cheers! :grin:

Thanks for the nice comments!
And no, there’s no issue with expressing an opinion, as long as it doesn’t involve any ad hominem attacks or vulgar language.

And thanks for keeping things light. It’s the tone we like to try and maintain here. :slight_smile:

Please, do not succumb to the subscription virus. This is the first sign of impending quality decline and alienation of loyal customers. Please please please…

2 Likes

The whole WordPress eco system proves this statement to be wrong. Examples: Yoast Seo, WP Rocket, a bunch of themes and other plugins. In the Mac world, Ulysses and Drafts come to mind, too. It is simply not true that subscription generally leads to quality decline or customer alienation.

3 Likes

General speaking, most users are comfortable to pay for good quality and importantly constant improvement applications. Either perpetual or subscription. Like some of us, I’m happy to pay subscriptions of few applications that are worth the $, such as Drafts like a few of you mentioned. Amazingly Drafts (Mac) has 20 updates within 11 months, not even counting updates to their iPad/iOS version. That is worth subscribing to! Obsidian (not entirely subscription) and Agenda are 2 others that have amazing amount of updates & releases.

I’ve dropped some apps that went subscription model but quality degrades and/or not updated for a a long time.

1 Like

Shouldn‘t it be up to the customer to decide, if the amount of upgrades is worth his money for a new version. if not, he shouldn‘t be punished with a complete cessation of the softwares function. By all means, keep me on an old feature set but I don‘t agree with the fact that after i.e. 10€/month I should lose all usage to the software.

No “facts” in evidence about losing anything …

Hope you are right

i know i am right about no facts in evidence. all this chat is pure speculation. i know nothing of the future. making predictions, especially about the future, is fraught with risk.

3 Likes

I am unsubscribing from all my subscriptions, starting with Creative Cloud and Office. And exclusively because they no longer allow me to use even old versions on my computers “obsolete” for Apple. I am used to using machines as long as possible. I’m still using an iMac G5 and two Core Intel 2 Duo (Tiger and El Capitan). I even recalled a G3 with classic a few months ago.
If they don’t allow me to buy the software, they force me to go pirate or to constantly renew the hardware. In this case, you would only do it with a TOTAL renting: hardware and ALL software with open bar. Like Spotify. And if I pay at the price of gold, also diamond service: machines thrown away every year. As that is not feasible, neither for me nor for the manufacturers, I only plan to continue using software that I can buy with a final license. If I’m interested, I renew when I play. If not, I still use the version compatible with my hardware.
In fact, in DevonThink I have bought several licenses, because they have allowed me to update to the latest versions without forcing me to pay anything. And in the end I have been paying more licenses even than the really used ones. And I have upgraded to DT3 paying thinking that I would be able to use that version for a long time. Maybe not as much as the previous one, but if they go to subscription, I will have to evaluate very well if my machines will be compatible. And if it is worthwhile for me to continue using a software that at the first change, forces me to export all the work to another program without any other option. In fact, given these rumors, I have already licensed other options to start preparing for the possible abandonment of DevonThink.

DT have said (either in this thread or one of the several others that are endlessly speculating on how and whether and why) that DT for Mac will not be moving to subscription. The only question is over DevonThink to Go on IOS & iPadOS.

Will posters please stop fantasising about the imminent subscription apocalypse. As if we don’t have really important, life and death, issues to deal with right now, we seem to want to expend what energy we have left on tributes to Grouch Marx (see the link posted here (Subscription Licensing Model?) )

7 Likes