Support for Cloud storage

good discussion!

1 Like

I occasionally pop in. I really like DT, but the absence of true cloud support has become a dealbreaker for me, since I got rid of sneakernet solutions during the pandemic, and it has simplified my workflow a lot. I have had no cloud sync problems on anythink that I use (onedrive, dropbox, google drive, iCloud, and the proprietary server of Overleaf).

There is an elephant (pun intended) in the room that Devon should consider.

Many may know that Evernote has been taken over by a company in Italy. There is a great deal of angst on the EN boards about what this means for the future of that platform - which is fully cloud dependent. If DT could (re-)institute cloud support (even if not on all cloud providers), it would have a potentially large market of those who may wind up leaving EN. I would readily port all my EN notebooks over (and DT has a pretty good importer) to do this.

What do you mean by “cloud support”?

What do you want to do but cannot?

And, why use so many cloud vendors for DEVONthink syncing. What is accomplished by that instead of using one or at most two?

I’m an Evernote refugee, and was never much a user of their cloud platform
In fact, I jumped ship when Evernote implemented their v10 product which practically dropped local data support

4 Likes

to work with my file on a cloud drive. the same way I do with outlook, files on onedrive, googledrive, dropbox, etc.

Then index the location into DT. That should work. Though, I don’t understand if you’re really talking about “sync” (as in your first post) or about “storing” files in the cloud services. Some clarification might help.

2 Likes

here is my use case. I have a machine at home (A), a machine at the office (B) and a machine I travel with (C). I’d like to be able to work seamlessly amongst the three.

I only have two devices (A & C), and work mostly seamlessly
My data is auto sync’d between devices using a cloud syncstore (iCloud/Cloudkit)
Seamless; there might be a slight sync lag

3 Likes

I have three devices (MacMini, MBP, and iPhone) and use a combination of Bonjour (when on the same network) and WebDav (when away from home) on my own hosted server to keep the three in sync, plus the web interface of Pro for when I am on my Windows company machine.

I used to use a commercial cloud-based solution but found that for the space I needed, it was easier and cheaper to roll my own for DT.

True, there might be a slight lag for sync, but it’s only noticeable on mobile and even then, it’s just a few seconds to get everything up to date if I haven’t been on the phone for a while.

1 Like

@ChuckHaas What you describe what you want is exactly what I do (but my “office” is “out and about”) with an iMac, Macbook, iPad, and iPhone with sync. I don’t sync everything to the iPhone simply due to its limited space. Dropbox “cloud” sync when “out and about” and rely on Bonjour and/or WebDAV to a local server when at the Global HQ.