Support for iWork file types ?

I just started trying DTP and I am very impressed so far. However it looks like the iWork file types are not supported.

Does that mean I have to go back to Word and Excel or are there work-arounds?

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Chris

Hi, Chris. DEVONthink 1.x is unable to see the text in Pages, Numbers or Keynote files. It’s unlikely that this will change in version 1.x, although the developers have prioritized text capture of iWorks files.

You can capture iWorks files into your database by checking the option to import “unknown” files in Preferences > Import - Files. Although their text content isn’t read and the file cannot be displayed, metadata including Name, Comment, etc. can be searched. So any keywords or notes entered in the Comment field of the Info panel are searchable. Within the database, selecting such a document and choosing the contextual menu option Launch Path will open the file under its parent application. If the file is edited and saved, the file contained in the database will be modified.

Current workaround: If you wish to incorporate a searchable form of important Pages, Numbers or Keynote documents, that can be done by “printing” the file under its parent application. When the Print panel appears, click on the PDF button, then choose the option to Save to DEVONthink Pro.

Hi Bill,

thank you for the quick response and the work arounds!

Are you aware of any script or automator work-flow to automate this? I could then create a folder for my iwork documents and get folder actions to create the PDF in my DTP database.

Unfortunately I am not enough of a hacker to successfully play around with scripts and automator.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Chris