Support: Frustration over Synchronization and Status of databases

But the item counts of the groups in this database are consistent?

1 Like

Yes, they are. Actually on both my Macs.

I am not convinced that it is helpful to post screenshots from 4 databases on 4 devices, which would be 16 screenshots.
This would make lots of work and cost time to get them down from all devices to the website …

But I can collect the item numbers as text:

Database 1, Global Inbox:
Mac: 403
iPad 1: 535
iPad 2: 611
iPhone: 430

Database 2:
Mac: 2695
iPad 1: 2695
iPad 2: 2725
iPhone: 2695

Database 3:
Mac: 7406
iPad 1: 9024
iPad 2: 9064
iPhone: 7406

Database 4:
Mac: 1058
iPad 1: 1133
iPad 2: 1133
iPhone: 1120

I am refreshing the iPhone right now and will add it’s items counts a bit later.

In DEVONthink on the Mac, hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket.

1 Like

This started the Mail App on the Mac, which is not correctly configured and does not work. I use ThunderBird …

DT wants to write a mail?

Can I write this mail manually?
DT cannot do this at my Mac …

Would be good to know which numbers are actually used (e.g. the ones of the database properties?).

I only see numbers of items in the database properties, where else?

Right-click in DT on the databases and select Database Properties, or long-press in DTTG and select Info.

Those are the numbers I posted above!

Update: I added the item counts from the iPhone above …

Yes, the option “Contact Us” correctly opens ThunderBird, while “Report Bug” has a bug itself in that it stubbornly wants to use the Mail App :smiley:

So, I can only send to “feedback@devontechnologies.com” as I cannot guess the right mail address to be used.

EDIT: I added support@ … that now seems to have opened 2 support cases :smiley:

Email clients supporting AppleScript are required for this. By the way, did you try the fix or delete-caches service tasks, see UTILITY URL COMMANDS in documentation?

Please re-read my initial posting, I tried both “fix” and “resync” …
Shall I also run “delete-cache”?

Just so, or together with other commands in any specific order?

Might be worth a try plus restarting the app.

I could not find a way to do this for DT, but did it on the iPads, force-closed and restarted the App:

Database 1, Global Inbox:
Mac: 403
iPad 1: 535 → 535 (same)
iPad 2: 611 → 611 (same)
iPhone: 430

So, no change …

And I probably forgot to post this above, I also ran “Verify & Repair” for each of the databases on seach device. This was the first thing I tried.

It’s not necessary on the Mac, the numbers are calculated on the fly and should be always the right ones. Actually I just noticed too high numbers on my iPad, we’ll check this.

2 Likes

I would not complain, if this did not happen already the third time … and each time, I statred new, syncing all devices new from the Sync location - and after that it was OK … for some time.

Do you actually miss any data or are just the item counts wrong? Over here the data is absolutely identical and the expected one, therefore it’s at least not always a sync issue (maybe not one at all).

How could I ever check that?

There is no way to really compare the Mac to the Sync location.

And as I complained above, DTTG just does not give the counts per type of item - just the overall number of items.

There is no way for be to check if the iPad just thinks it has more items, or if this is already the mistake - number per type of item like on DT would immensely help.

BTW, I am not sure that DT is more right than any of the iPads or the iPhone.

As I wrote, there is a force-sync up to the Sync location from each device and then a force-sync down to all devices is missing!
The URL commands seem to allow for this, but they don’t do that.

You could compare the object count for groups, for example. In my case, they’re identical across all devices, but there’s still a difference of the overall object count.

That, of course, only works if you’re using groups. Otherwise, you could compare tag counts perhaps.

Well, I am :wink: At least as long as the local database can be verified without any issues.

As long as it’s unknown whether it’s a sync issue this would be just a really cumbersome workaround.

The numbers shown for each group seem be be just unread items …

But I found the “Info” for each group after a long press …
This would require immense amount of time.

I tried some examples, in the Global Inbox, there is only group.
On both iPads, 11 items are shown.

The other items are just top level … and I see no way to compare them.

I then compared the tags, one iPad shows 262 the other 263 items.
So, the differences will be real differences in items (or tags)!