Swipe to left on the document

Hi,

I stumbled upon a different behaviour of swipe to left gesture:

• in normal groups, swipe to left on a file (e.g. pdf) offers me trash as a first option and allow to delete the file by complete swipe to left (great!)
  • in smart groups (e.g. “Top Rated”, “PDFs without Text”), swipe to left on a file (e.g. pdf) offers me flag as the first option. In order to delete the file I need to click on More > Move to Trash (why is this different to above?)
  • in smart groups (e.g. “Labeled”) swipe to left offer me trash (why is “labeled” so special e.g. compared to “top rated”?)

Expected behaviour: swipe to left always defaults to Trash in all types of smart groups. Otherwise current behaviour is unpredictable and not natural to iOS.

If there is a way to configure this, I want to know how! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

No, there is nothing to configure.
Also, swiping left doesn’t yield a Trash option naturally in iOS.

I’ll consider this a feature request.

My base is Finder in iOS. This is what I see when I swipe to left:

Another reference point on iOS is Mail (defaults to delete by swipe left + offers configuration options):

Hope this helps clarify “naturally”. Nevertheless, the user expects consistent behaviour within the app, currently it is mixed.

The reason is that documents can have replicants, reside in multiple places at once. Which one should the Trash command move to the trash? Or all? Therefore DEVONthink To Go currently doesn’t offer the Trash command, similar to the context menu not offering a Move to Trash command in smart groups.

Interesting, I did not think about that and actually did not realize DTTG supports them (as I do not use replicants at all in DT&DTTG).

Which one should the Trash command move to the trash? Or all?

If I used replicants, I would say all (potentially with a pop-up saying exactly that).

For my usability personally, and the reason I opened that thread, smart groups are a good way to filter thru the documents and do the clean-up. With the current swipe behaviour this is really not practical unfortunately on the phone/iPad.

Therefore DEVONthink To Go currently doesn’t offer the Trash command,

I re-checked this again. Just tbc, i do see as reported above “move to trash” when I swap to left and click “3 dots” (e.g. in “PDF without Text group”. It is just not the default behaviour of the swap.

You’re correct. The behavior is inconsistent. We’ll have a look.

Changed for the next maintenance release.

1 Like

Thanks for fixing it in 3.1.1!