Switch from iCloud sync to bonjour

Dear All,

my iCloud sync file has ballooned again and I’m unable to have a 1:1 copy on my iPad as a result. On the iPhone document availability is spotty at best. What file do I have to delete where and what to do to have clean bonjour sync from my Mac that is the base device?

Best wishes and thanks in advance!

First, read the instructions for how to setup Bonjour in the “DEVONthink Manual”, supplemented by Bonjour Simplified

Turn off your iCloud sync setup by unchecking in the “Locations” tab in Sync Settings. Setup and use Bonjour.

PS. it is unlikely your iCloud sync location has “ballooned” unnecessarily. And if you have insufficient space on iCloud server for synching, that also could be getting in your way. Dunno. The sync location contains the data that DEVONthink needs to sync. It is not a DEVONthink database. You can “clean” (delete) it and start again if you want. “Cleaning” also discussed and explained in the “DEVONthink Manual”.

PPS. DEVONthink “Help” has same content of “DEVONthink Manual”

Is it possible to clarify what the problem is that you have? If your database(s) is too large to have a copy on your iPad, switching sync method isn’t going to fix that. You’d be changing the method that data enters your iPad, but the database itself will still be too large.

CloudKit sync, which I believe you are using currently, doesn’t report (to the user anyway) how much data is used during sync and it’s not possible for you to look this up. I find it unlikely you’d be hitting whatever the limit is on CloudKit - transferring a large new database likely would hit a limit, but subsequent syncs would only be syncing changes, which I assume do not run to tens of GB every time? (NB. CloudKit sync and your iCloud Drive are not the same thing.)

1 Like

Can you provide detailed numbers?
I use both sync methods; Bonjour and iCloud (Cloudkit)
My DevonThink database requires 25GB on both my Mac and iPad
The iCloud sync datastore requires 20GB of cloud storage

1 Like

I use MB M1 max 64 GB memory
FYI I have about 15 topical DB three of them are above 25 GB one being 60 GB i synchronize three DB (icluding the one with 25GB) with my Ipad and Iphone.

Never had and issue very stable way of synchronizing …icloud did not work so well
Also the setting is very simple and straightforward, just follow the doc …