Switching from Mac to PC

I apologize if my post above seemed abusive. I didn’t intend it that way. The fact that your company is using all web-based apps explains a lot. I wish you wouldn’t leave the forum. I’d like to know how your experience with the switch works out.

1 Like

I’ve been using Kinook’s UltraRecall since 2013 five days a week since then. My entire career’s knowledge resides in it.
If you have questions, plz do not hesitate to ask.

I just had to replace my 2010 MacBook Air. One of the main reasons I bought another Mac (the M1 Macbook Air 2020) was that I don’t think I can live without Devon products. I am retired and mainly now use to collect genealogy documents. But I used it for many years as a lawyer and really used it every day.

1 Like

Welcome @BarbaraMcIntyre

Thanks for the nice feedback and the long-standing support! :slight_smile:

Welcome @cnewtonne
Thanks for the willingness to help others on the forums. It’s appreciated. :slight_smile:

Thank you Calapso for the tip I will try it. Sorry for the late answer, I don’t follow anymore this post, I just take a look occasionally.

Thank you!

Just to add my two cents: came from Evernote, and realised that DT was the application that would fulfil my needs best. So I got a cheap mid 2012 MBP and upgraded it a bit. Very happy with it. Still: most laptops’ performance is related to how well they are managed/maintained. A well maintained Windows laptop out-performs a poorly managed Mac. And people tend to care for the things they like.

I had in a chance to go back to Windows when Catalina was released, but DT maintained me in macOS and still maintains into it.

I think that without DT, I had go back to Windows, but there is no near equivalent even combining different apps.

1 Like

A substitute? A substitute for DT??

SCNR

1 Like

Hey! I’m wearing a jacket just like Pete Townsend!
:wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

(And doing windmill chops on my Telecaster)

1 Like

Hi @salvapost,

actually, you can run DevonThink on a virtual machine in Windows just fine.

It’s not that difficult to set up. Granted, you will need a relatively powerful laptop in terms of RAM and processor. I recommend using Vmware Workstation pro.

There are some small limitations, like certain menus not displaying correctly, but this is the exception in my experience.

Good luck.

If you use Markdown, Obsidian has to be worth a look.

Yes, I’ve used Obsidian from the very early non-alpha days. It’s really good. Just a pain to move content from OneNote to Obsidian (could be done via first exporting to Evernote format and then to Obsidian). Might take the plunge, anyway.

I generally try to avoid using web apps… but this is difficult working for a company that uses the Microsoft Online suite. It all works OK, but most of the time just painfully slow compared to quality desktop applications. Web apps are nice to be able to access your data ‘everywhere’, but not to be productive, for me at least.

These days web apps are really rich in features, but it also means your computer needs to be powerful to use them. DEVONthink uses less memory with a few large databases opened than Edge does and in Edge I only have Teams, Mail and a SharePoint list opened.

Screenshot 2021-04-13 at 10.51.51

I do like the fact that the company lets us use Mac’s because most of the work can be done online, otherwise I would be forced to use Windows :slight_smile: .

I have been in a Windows world for a long time. I used Macs in the past and started using them again about a year ago. Between that period I have been using Windows daily and experimented with Linux a lot. I like that MacOS gives me the power of Linux/Unix in combination with a great UI.
And after discovering great apps like DEVONthink, Scrivener (also Windows), Omni products and though this forum great small utilities like Popclip, Hook etc. I do not see me leaving MacOS in the (near) future! :slight_smile:

I do not like that with hardware getting cheaper and computers getting faster some apps just are to resource intensive for what they provide (looking at Dropbox). Some developers (or companies) seem too care less for optimising their code especially with cross platform applications.

I’m pretty sure a lot of great Mac applications do not have a serious Windows equivalent. (like DT :wink: ), and even if their is an alternative in Windows, integration with the OS and other applications might still be an issue.

Obsidian is really nice, but not a DT replacement, unless you use DT only for taking notes. If you are looking for something a bit similar to Obsidian but with native Mac apps then Craft might be something to checkout.

2 Likes