Sync database creates lots of duplicates with indexed folder on apple icloud

I’m wondering if there’s a sync issue involved.

• Is anything reported in DEVONthink’s Window > Log?
  • Is there a triangle on the sync icon in DEVONthink To Go’s bottom toolbar? If so, tap it. What is reported?

interesting suggestion, I’ll try to reproduce the problem and see if I see this triangle icon

so, to be sure, do you think “bonjour” is better than using cloudkit ?

I think your explanation is explaining why this problem happens: so thanks a lot!
This means that if my 2 macs are open with DT3 opened on this synced db,
when I change 1 file or folder, I get this problem as both DT3 are “busy” with the database indexing the folder.
So: no hope for this solution.

You need to answer @chrillek’s questions about “optimise disk space”. And yes, as said above, Bonjour works … reliable and faster than Apple’s CloudKit. Read other posts here over many months about how people have reported issues with Apple’s services. Also discussed on forums for other products.

1 Like
  • So you have two macs on the side by side, both with DEVONthink open to the same database?
    • And they’re both syncing via cloud kit?
  • Are you working on both machines in quick succession?

Is this folder the one of an app? Otherwise the full path would be useful.

yes almost side by side, for testing. rather both with the same db open. and like it has been written here it is a apple sync problem.
However, when I had the problem (before the testing) I was working with my macbook only. I cannot tell if my mac mini ((that is always running in my office) was with dt3 open or not.
I suppose it was . whatever this makes the utilization of DT 3 with sync on icloud quite fragile

whatever this makes the utilization of DT 3 with sync on icloud quite fragile

I would actually say iCloud is more like a car in need of repair and DEVONthink’s data mere passengers. We hope everyone arrives at their destination safely but can’t say for sure if the car will break down or not. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

love this metaphor :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bottom line, what does DT3 recommend as the best way to avoid this type of problem. iCloud, Bonjour, DropBox or some other solution. We are looking for a non ‘fragile’ solution. May now is the time for DT3 to get in the cloud sync business to have a more reliable system?

Welcome to the DEVONthink forum. I see this your first post. I suspect DEVONtechnogies’ staff may be surprised to hear that you think they are not in the “sync business”.

If you really need syching and Apple’s services don’t work for you well–and that is noticed by other users who report same here but those for whom it works don’t tend to say so here and just carry-on–until Apple does something to improve their service so it works for you, then use one or more of of the other methods fully documented in the outstanding “DEVONthink Manual”. I use Bonjour and WebDAV on local network, and Dropbox for synching via internet. You can read above and so many older posts on this topic if you need more information than in the “DEVONthink Manual”.

1 Like

Did you actually experience it, which folders did you index?

Thank you, @rmschne, for your response. My wife says I am too literal and here I am misusing the term ‘sync business’ :slight_smile: I have used DT3 a little over the past years but currently using DropBox for sharing most data. I would like to start using DT3, over DropBox, because I believe DT3 will add a layer of security. I will follow your recommended links and it sounds like DropBox is the preferred method for syncing secure DT3 data outside of my private network.

1 Like

No, I am now just setting up my system. I am trying to avoid problems such as you are experiencing.

it sounds like DropBox is the preferred method for syncing secure DT3 data outside of my private network.

But do you actually need a remote sync option?
Please read and consider this forum post…