Sync database question

DTPro Office on desktop (Sierra OS 10.12.6), DTTG on iphone 7, Dropbox.

Having been using DTPO for a few years, i decided it was time to have a got at using DTTG so this afternoon (UK) I downloaded it from Apple Store. I note it’s free but the premium version costs. I don’t mind paying but I wonder what the practical differences are.

Having taken a while to work out how to sync (despite your helpful video!), I deleted everything I’d achieved and started again from scratch with a view to going through the motions again to get it right first time. (Also took the opportunity to delete some old databases on DTPO.) i am relieved that I managed to accelerate the process.

However, what I don’t understand yet is why I need (whether there is any need) to add a same name database on DTTG when the database in DTPO of that same name appears on DTTG on completion of the sync. The only difference as far as I can tell is that the synced database shows the number of entries, whereas the DTTG same name database has no entries.

tia

DEVONthink To Go 2 is not free.

Some details on the in-app purchase can be found here: devontechnologies.com/produc … rison.html

You don’t and shouldn’t. As you can see this does not work for Syncing. They are not the same database, regardless of the name.

Noted, thank you.

So does that mean i should use the synced database when adding new content in DTTG? (In the same way presumably as when adding new content in that same database in DTPO?

Yes. Otherwise, it wouldn’t Sync with the Mac’s (or any other device’s) copy of the database.

As I understand, I must create a new database on DTTG that has the identical name as the database that is to be and will continue to be synced with DTPO. For example, DTTG-A and DTPO-A.

After ‘sunk’, both databases are connected whereupon DTPO-A appears in DTTG (albeit there is no overt way of showing which is which without selecting one and checking whether it has any content.

[Content number only appears to the right of the database name if the content is in an Inbox. (In my case, I’ve put the content in a group folder. Which rather suggests I should put it in the inbox if i want to see the number of entries at a glance!)]

After having connected, would i be right in thinking I can delete the new DTTG database of the same name because seemingly it serves no purpose other than to act as an identifier for the initial sync? As you say, it is only the DTPO-A database that is the ‘syncable’ one.

And/but if the new DTTG database isn’t redundant then what would I use it for?

I’m not sure where you got this idea, but no. You should not do this and it will not Sync with each othe, regardless of the name.

You need to initially import a database from a Sync location to a device - Mac or mobile.

I have the feeling your response is the difference between technical know-how and …

When I wrote DTTG-A and DTPO-A, I didn’t mean they would be the names of the respective databases, but of the source app. The database name in each case is A.

Assuming that’s clear, please answer my questions, thank you.

I’m not sure what you’re asking.

Each device has a local copy of a database. DTTG2 is not seeing DTPO’s database. It’s seeing its own database - one that stays in Sync with DTPO.

I’m not sure why you’re talking about deleting databases on one side or the other. The general point of Sync is to have the same database on multiple devices.

If you are using DTTG2 as a transient capture device (ie. you’re just collecting info to send to the Mac), capture to the Global Inbox only and Sync that with the Mac. Then on the Mac, curate the Global Inbox into separate databases, clearing it out to receive other data from the mobile device.

I understand that. What I don’t understand is why have two databases on DTTG2 both with the same name if there’s nothing in one of them. Is it simply to maintain the sync?

On Scrivener 3, for example, its ‘project file’ is in Dropbox. All I have to do is open it in the Scriveners Ios app, then add or whatever any content and then close. It then syncs either automatically or manually at my preference to D. On my Mac, i open the project file and do the same thing.

You said…

This is incorrect. If you created a database with the same name, then imported the database from the Sync location, you would indeed end up with two databases with the same name (though they are not the same database). You did not need to make an identically named database.