Sync Devonthink Pro mac with Devonthink to go iphone

How do I sync my DEVONthink Pro databases on my mac with Devonthink to go on my iPhone?

On the Mac…

1. In DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync enable the iCloud sync location.
  2. Enter an optional encryption key, if desired.
    You will use this same key on other devices running DEVONthink or DEVONthink To Go, syncing with this sync location.
    Note: If this is a second Mac connecting to an active sync location. you must enter the encryption key you initially specified. If you didn’t specify an encryption key, you must leave it blank.
    Also, You cannot add / modify / or remove the encryption key later, unless you clean the sync location first, so it’s best to decide and specify it when you first enable the sync location.
  3. Check the checkboxes next to databases you want to sync.
    Note: DTSync is done locally. After sync is finished, iCloud uploads to Apple’s servers, then to devices using your Apple ID. This means databases may not be immediately available to sync on the other devices. The initial sync requires patience, as we have no control over the speed and reliability of iCloud’s process.

On the mobile device…

1. Go into DEVONthink To Go’s Settings > Sync: Edit Locations and touch the iCloud location.
  2. Enter an optional encryption key.
    Note: If you are connecting to an active sync location. you must enter the encryption key you initially specified. If you didn’t specify an encryption key, you must leave it blank.
    Also, You cannot add / modify / or remove the encryption key later, unless you clean the sync location first, so it’s best to decide and specify it when you first enable the sync location.
  3. Touch the sync location and flip the switch next to databases that are available to import.
    Also bear in mind, DTTG should be in the foreground and the mobile device awake for the initial sync. The Background App Refresh option is controlled entirely by iOS and only allows approximately a 30 second window, when it allows it to happen. This means we can’t control if, when, or how long it happens. Subsequent syncs are faster since there’s less data being transferred.
5 Likes

Thank you for the feedback.

In the Sync options, I can only see Box.me, Cloudme, Dropbox, and WebDav options. I cannot see an iCloud option?

Is System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Options > DEVONthink Pro enabled?

If so, what version of DEVONthink are you running?

1 Like

That worked, thanks!

You’re welcome. :smiley:

Hi,

My global inbox on iPhone is set to sync with my mac, but the documents are not being transferred between the two devices.

Any idea why this is?

Sorry, the documents have now synced.

Glad to hear it and yes, please be patient with the process.

Great explanation, thank you very much

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

How do I sync the DTTG clips in my iPhone to be available on my Mac without using iCloud? Can this be done using Bonjour? Using iCloud in the past has created some bad scenarios and I do nor need all my Mac databases in iOS. I just need my iOS clips to go to my Mac DT3.

Yes you can sync via Bonjour. It’s just another sync method we offer.
See…

My Mac and iOS device sync fine. But then I added 5 databases on my M1Macbook. How do you sync the databases to show up on my iOS devices? Thank you

You do not say how you are syncing, but configure the iOS device to sync the new ones. just have to slide the button.

Slide the button, see attachment. Did I follow you correct?

Looks like you are using Apple sync service. you need to tell the machine holding those new databases to sync the files to there. Can’t sync a device with
another device if the source server does not have the sync files.

Please re-read the instructions in the “DEVONthink Manual”. Also be aware that for some people the Apple sync services not always reliable. Good luck to you with it.

1 Like

Thank you for all your help :wink:

I set up Bonjour, so now I have the databases on all my devices. Thanks again for all your help!

1 Like

Good move.