Sync Devonthink To Go FROM iPhone to Mac

Due to a crash, I did a fresh install of DevonThink 3 on my Mac. My iPhone has the entire database on it. I want to take it from there, or from iCloud, to my Mac.

On my iPhone, under Settings, Sync, Locations, I selected iCloud. I made sure the tab was to the right (blue), then when I select the right arrow there is now the Inbox tab (currently grey). When I select that, a warning prompt pops up “This database has not been downloaded completely to this device. Uploading it to a new sync location will cause problems because some items will be missing“ I have not selected this option at this time.

In iCloud, I had chosen Settings (on my iPhone) BACKUP, backup data to iCloud (blue) previously. I have NOT chosen sync to iCloud previously (see above paragraph).

On my Mac, in DevonThink3, preferences, Sync, Locations, I selected iCloud. No databases are available in the database box to the right.

I want to ensure I do not lose my data on my iPhone (yes, I should have backed up my data on my Mac but I did not, I did choose backup to iCloud via my iPhone previously) does not get erased, nor overwritten which I why I am writing this topic.

Besides the one button to slide over (paragraph 2, see above) for the inbox sync, are there other options I need to be aware of, or steps that must be followed in order?

Unless I am mistaken, it is not possible to restore from iPhone.

Due to a crash, I did a fresh install of DevonThink 3 on my Mac.

I’m not sure why you did this. Reinstallation should not be an early troubleshooting technique. That should be reserved for much later in the process (unless instructed to by us).

In iCloud, I had chosen Settings (on my iPhone) BACKUP, backup data to iCloud (blue) previously. I have NOT chosen sync to iCloud previously (see above paragraph).

This has nothing to do with syncing DEVONthink To Go.

(yes, I should have backed up my data on my Mac but I did not, I did choose backup to iCloud via my iPhone previously)

That is not and either/or proposition. Backup to iCloud is not a substitute backup for the Mac. And it’s actually only meant for iOS device restoration, not file restoration.

On my iPhone, under Settings, Sync, Locations, I selected iCloud.

Were you previously syncing DEVONthink To Go with this iCloud sync location?

Due to a crash with Safari, I chose to install Catalina (I had put off installing it to test Devonthink3 on my other iMac, though had not done further work on it). As a result, I had a newly installed OS, so today I installed DevonThink3 on this machine. That is what I meant by fresh install.

Why did you assume I reinstalled DevonThink? We both know that the Mac OS or its components are more likely to crash than DevonThink.

Since my data in on my iPhone, I had to choose some location in the forums to write for my concern. I added my iCloud settings as necessary information so that you and your team can help me.

Hmmm. I assumed backup meant backup. If I can restore files to my iPhone, why can I not then transfer these files to my Mac?

I have not sync‘d to the iCloud. I only selected backup to iCloud.

When I select that, a warning prompt pops up “This database has not been downloaded completely to this device. Uploading it to a new sync location will cause problems because some items will be missing“

This is a warning that comes from having a database set to Download Files: On demand. Were you previously syncing and imported this database from a different sync location?

I was syncing to this computer (MacBook Air) previously. It had DevonThink2 (fully updated). I now have DevonThink3 installed.

Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket.

I am confused here. There is no bug.

I have files on my DevonThink to Go on my iPhone. I want to transfer these to my completely newly installed DevonThink3 on my Mac.

How can I do this? I would believe my question would be helpful for others in the future in the same situation as myself. Or where others want to bulk transfer their files to someone else’s DevonThink database.

Again, please start a support ticket per my instructions so I can get logs and assess this better.