Sync Global Inbox & missing database (Dropbox Sync Store)

Problem solved thanks to fast replies to my tech support tickets.

My ipad had previously been setup with that database.

My iphone had never been setup to sync or had any databases on it.

So, when I tried syncing it, there was nothing on my iphone to sync it to - meaning it wasn’t set up with that database yet.

They sent me some instructions, here is the beginning portion which solved my problem:

For a Bonjour (Direct) Connection between machines…

​Sync is a very simple thing. There’s no grand mystery here. Indeed, other than “turning on the server” option, it’s pretty much the same as connecting to any online account, like Dropbox. (Actually, it’s simpler.) Here it is in three simple steps.

1. Bonjour must be On for the machine that will be hosting a given database. This acts as the server / host.
    On the Mac, it’s under DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync > Bonjour Options. (Note: this step is also covered in DEVONthink’s built-in Help, under the section, Taking your data with you.)
    ​In DTTG2, it is under Settings > Bonjour (also covered in DTTG2’s built-in Help).

2. The connecting machine adds the host machine in it’s Sync Locations. This is a client of the host machine for that database.
    ​ On the Mac, it’s under DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync.
    ​In DTTG2, it is under Settings > Sync > Locations > Edit Locations.

3. The connecting machine then selects the database it wants to import (if it doesn’t have a copy locally already) or Sync (if it does have a local copy already). This is as simple as checking a checkbox (Mac interface) or flipping a switch (DTTG2).

That’s it. Three simple steps.

I spoke too soon.

That solution solved the issue with getting it to start transferring the database over to my iphone, but I have a 10 gig database, and it has timed out each time I’ve tried syncing it. Sometimes right away, sometimes after a few hours. When it times out you have to start over apparently.

I’ll submit another support ticket.

Sync is built to auto-resume.

This isn’t a sync. It’s part of the initial import of the database using the instructions I quoted above. My iphone has no files on it even though the longest import was a few hours and showed roughly 3000 out of 10,000 documents completed.

Update: It’s working I think, but sporadically. Attempts to sync files, then disconnects, then attempts to sync again. Will update later with the results.

I am a non-techie person and I too find the sync process very difficult to follow. The instructions appear to be written by a tech person at the company and then translated into English with Google Translate. It is very distressing to read, in a post from a company employee, way down in a forum, that you DO NOT RECOMMEND keeping you database in Dropbox. Why isn’t that at the TOP of the instructions on the app. Even the 23 step process that a non-employee has posted has a favor is pretty confusing. Does Devonthink ever hire a professional writer to explain these things? Is the company so financially strapped that it leaves explanations of its most critical developments to non-staff forum members? If you look at Devonthink’s Youtube tutorial for syncing, the opening screen is completely different from the screen on the current Devonthink screen. Did you ever think of updating that BEFORE releasing the new version?

This has always been the rule, even before the recent sync capability. In other words, don’t keep your database in Dropbox even if you don’t sync. However, note that when “database” is used, this means the DT database file (that stores the metadata and internally stored files) and not external files, if they are used. I use indexed data files stored in Dropbox but have the DT database stored locally, that’s okay.

Done it many times. I also deleted and reinstalled DTTG 2… but nothing more than the Global Inbox (I have 4 databases). Could the use of an iPad 2 (although with 9.3.4) be an issue?

I also us an iPad 2 and the Bonjour works well with it. Under SYNC > Locations > Edit Locations on DTTG does your Mac show up? If so when you you select it do your four databases show up at all?

I already did that… to realize I missed the little arrow to go a step further :blush:

So, yes, I’m now able to see my four databases, thanks! Still have some issues though, but it might be a case for a “support ticket”.

Good luck. Sync is confusing at first but make sense once you get it working :smiley:

Little less confused now and things going smoother :slight_smile: As I bought the “pro” upgrade, it gives me more options to “play” with the app too. So far, so good. Thanks (again)!