Sync: iCloud vs WebDav

I bet for WebDAV too.

It is in my Synology NAS and I don’t trust iCloud Drive much.

I was in the same position and struggled with iCloud sync for a very long time. As others have mentioned it gets stuck for reasons only God and Apple seem to know. As I tried to find a solution on this forum somebody said “why not try WebDav.” So I did. No more sync problems, it works brilliantly. Be warned though, DEVONtechnologies have made it quite clear that they will not provide technical support because all WebDav servers are different. If you understand the technology (or have access to a computing professional) this is the best solution imho.

I love Apple software normally but iCloud is more like iFog.

You wrote: “for reasons only God and Apple seem to know”.

Is there a difference ?

;-).

1 Like

Yes. Apple exists!

2 Likes

Are you sure? :smiley:

Lol. We have drifted into a theological discussion which is inappropriate in this forum and will be offensive to some so we had better stop! To paraphrase the famous saying; “I don’t believe in god but I’d give my life to preserve the right to believe.” If you want to chat with a proud atheist pm me! Take care buddy. Now, back to chatting about the rather wonderful DT …

1 Like

… I agree it is wonderful. :star_struck:

[PS: I’m atheist as well, then not much to discuss :hugs:]

An additional weakness of the iCloud avenue is its voracious disk consumption, since it needs a full mirror of the sync store on the local disk. (Please correct me if I’m wrong.)

Whereas WebDav has a whole copy of ur DB only in the cloud? Uploads directly

The databases are locally stored in every case. Database sync stores are auxiliary entities sealed off from the user and entirely distinct from the databases themselves.

My understanding is that WebDAV sync stores are stored only remotely, whereas iCloud sync stores must be updated locally, then uploaded as a single bundle to the cloud. In my own experience this can be unpredictably asynchronous and remarkably wasteful. I’ve also found iCloud Drive to be fragile and untrustworthy a technology in general, for reasons unrelated to DEVONthink.

Among available sync methods iCloud is, to my mind, the least preferable one. if you have sufficient WebDAV space, it’s a no-brainer.

Ok cool, I ended up renting a Hetzner Storage Box and hosting it there, I can even keep my Omnifocus database and 1Password in there if I want :open_mouth:

My understanding is that WebDAV sync stores are stored only remotely

Generally true but it depends on the WebDAV server you’re running. For example, I ran WebDAV on macOS server (before Apple castrated it… Grrrr) on a Mac Mini that I also run DEVONthink on. So on that machine the sync data was still local but for another of my Macs, the sync data was remote (though still on my network).

I was considering moving my WebDAV activity to manOS. What did Apple do to castrate it and is it still a viable platform for DT sync?