Sync Issues

:question: Are you referring to saving a file? Command-S, Data > Save?

Would you mind opening a support ticket and sending me a copy of a few of these emails in a database? e.g. make a new database, import some (innocuous) emails, verify that it shows the problem, and send it to me? There’s no real reason for Sync to mess up handling these records, but I’ve been surprised before.

Sync uses standard file reading/writing methods (i.e. I didn’t implement my own weird way of writing data to a file), so chances are this is a problem elsewhere in the system that is affecting Sync. Network disconnections and similar things can wreak havoc; 2.6.2 is better at handling this.

Yes, that’s an accurate description. I actually fixed this bug in late July, in what I laughingly referred to as 2.6.2 build 2 (I’m now at 2.6.2 build 28). I suggest just working around this for the time being, but 2.6.2 should be released soon (sob) and definitely fixes this issue.

Nathan,

Thanks for the info about the saving. I’ll keep an eye out for the new release.

As far as the outlook records, I’ll have to try to recreate that one. Since I’ve moved away from the Dropbox sync to the USB sync, I no longer experience this problem. I’ll create a new database, import some records and try to replicate the problem first chance I get.

As far as the USB sync not working due to “permissions” errors, I’m not sure what the issue is. I’m sending a screen shot that shows that after receiving the the error (although this is just a screen shot, it was “created” from left to right so you can see the “process”), I was able to access the USB drive (by opening the Finder window), open a file (using the text editor), and save the file on that drive. So, I don’t believe that my computer was having any problems with the USB drive, but DevonThink was. I can provide further testing if you tell me what you would like me to do to provide additional information.

As I mentioned before, I’m very careful to close Devonthink and properly eject the drive prior to switching computers. Also, completely restarting the computer temporarily solves the problem, until the next time the drive as been used on a second computer.

Thanks,

Bryan