Sync problem using box.com, CAPTCHA?

Greetings,

I have been looking for an alternative to Evernote and I am currently trialling DTPO and DEVONthink To Go. iOS functionality that is synced with my Mac is a must-have feature for me, so I was excited to read about the new DEVONthink To Go.

I have imported all my Evernote data and everything seems to be working well, except for sync. I am using Box.com and the issue I seem to be having is that everything works great for a little while, and then I will start getting sync errors (“Authentication Failed”). If I try to log into Box.com via the web browser it asks me to enter a CAPTCHA, and then I am able to log in successfully and sync works again for a little while before it breaks and I have to repeat the process.

My guess is that something is triggering Box.com to invoke the CAPTCHA requirement and when that happens sync stops working. Maybe syncing too frequently? I looking around the Box settings to see if I could turn this off, but didn’t find much.

I know that Dropbox might be a better choice, but one of the reasons I want to switch to DEVONthink is to reduce expense in the long run (now that Evernote has raised their rates), and I would have to pay monthly for a Dropbox account to get the space I need, whereas I have 50 GB Box.com account for free.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it!

It is an idiosyncracy of Box, not DEVONthink. It’s not reliably reproducible. (And we have had some discussion with them about it.)

Try reducing your Max. Connections in DEVONthink’s Preferences >Sync. No guarantee it will completely solve the issue but it may have some effect. (They are already limiting connections and throttling bandwidth, though they claim they don’t. Haha!)

Thanks for the response, I assumed as much. I will play around with the settings and if nothing works may have to take another look at Dropbox or see if I can try a WebDAV service.

I’ve had generally good luck with CloudMe’s WebDAV.

I am also getting the “Authentication Failed” error, over and over again, filling up my Activity Log. Yet, when I check, the databases (I have several going through Box) are syncing just fine between DTG and my mac. :confused:

Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report Bug to start a Support Ticket on this. Thanks.

Just as a follow up - I decided to give Dropbox a try and its working just fine. I guess I don’t have as much data as I thought because I still have plenty of space with their free offering. When I do run out of space I may just have to bite the bullet with Dropbox.

Thanks!

@ethant: Glad to hear it.