Sync problems about DTTG?

I am a new user of DTTG. I have synced all my database from desktop by DropBox. However, when I try to sync the database to DTTG, I can not see my current DropBox store and the only option is to start a new DropBox account. What’s the matter?

Another problem, if I use local network to sync (this approach works) but I choose download on demand, can I download the files under a different WiFi network>

You might not like my answer but avoid clouds like DropBox etc. When I first got to know Devonthink the absolute best argument was that I did not have to use anything outside my own control - I could sync DIRECT over WiFi to my iPad, iPhone etc.

I was looking to get Evernote at first since I thought it was neat to be able to use my data wherever I was over internet/cell phones. But I quickly changed my mind when I saw that a lot of password leaked out in a “break-in” at Evernote. I also know today that they charge per item you upload and I just hate to pay to be able to use my own information.

If you can, I strongly recommend that you use DevonThink on your Mac, set your iPad or iPhone to automatically sync. This will give you a much safer system and YOU have control of your info all the time. I also use Apples Tinemachine and a TimeCapsule for backups.

Once a month I make a complete copy of my entire database (about 10GB) encrypt it with 256 and a strong password and drag it over to iCloud as an extra security back-up. I feel safe with that but to continuously use an open database on a cloud makes me feel very unsafe.

If you mean you have your DEVONthink database in your Dropbox folder, you should not.
You should never put your databases in a Dropbox (or other cloud-synced) folder or you could irreparably damage them. ​Never. If you have, you ​must ​relocate them immediately. The safest location is a folder in your Home Directory, like ​~/Databases​.

Thanks for your reminder. I did not store my database in any cloud synced folder. I just put my sync store file in DropBox. However I can not find the dropbox connection in my DTTG so I have to use local network to sync on and I am not sure if I can download the files in a different network?

Thanks for your reminder. Actually, I put the sync store file in DropBox but my database in an external disk. The problem is I can not choose to sync by DropBox in my iPad and can only sync by local network. If I sync by local network and choose to download on demand, can I download the files under a different network?

Correct. iOS cannot access another filesystem natively, so it cannot access a Local Sync Store. You should be using the built-in Dropbox Sync location in DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync.

Not using a Bonjour Sync, no. Bonjour requires both devices to be on the same network. It’s the same exact technology as a wireless printer or scanner. If you aren’t on your network, you can’t print to your printer. By the same token, if it was possible, your neighbor could print to your printer when they’re on their network! :mrgreen:

I can also not sync my database with my iOS devices. All that is synced are the Inboxes. As windyvictor, I can sync my database with Dropbox and on a local network but definitely not with my iOS devices. I have red the help files carefully, but have not found any help to solve the problem.

Please start a Support Ticket. Thanks.