Sync problems iCloud (CloudKit) for annotations

Hi,

I use DTTG on my iPad using “iCloud (CloudKit)” sync locations.

My first issue I think is a known “feature”. I index an external folder (located on a cloud server). Basic sync between my Mac and the iPad using DT and DTTG works. I add new files on the Mac to my DT database and those files appear in DTTG - but it takes some time. My problem is connected to the annotations. The sync here is not reliable. Annotating on the Mac will be visible in DTTG most of the time, but the other way around doesn’t do it.

If I add the PDFs to an internal database (I don’t want to do this, but if this is the way to go…) the annotations made on the Mac with DT always appear in DTTG after a short time. But if I use the iPad the sync doesn’t work as I expected. If I open the PDF in DT and mark the text nothing get’s synced. If I enter the edit-mode first and then add some annotations in DTTG - after leaving the edit mode they sync with the Mac (together with the new annotations I made without entering the edit-mode). Is this how it should be? Seems to me that the edit mode flags the file for the sync and without entering the edit mode the new annotations will be ignored.

best,

Detlef

There are many conversations here about PDF annotations. Search for existing, please. Most recently some sage advice at Struggle with my Workflow (Macbook, iPad, DT 3, LiquidText, Papers) - #7 by webline

@rmschne this is a catch22 situation - in the thread you mentioned you find this statement: “The issues with syncing between DevonThink macOS and DevonThink To Go iOS might be worthy of a separate thread”…

Go down a bit. See @DrJJWMac advice. But did you search? Don’t need to rely on me.

1 Like

I’m not seeing an issue annotating a PDF in DEVONthink To Go and syncing it to the Mac.

If I enter the edit-mode first and then add some annotations in DTTG - after leaving the edit mode they sync with the Mac (together with the new annotations I made without entering the edit-mode). Is this how it should be?

Are you saying you’re leaving the file in editing mode and expecting it to sync the annotations?

No - I can do annotations without entering the edit-mode and then no sync will be initiated. If I enter edit-mode, annotate and then leave the edit-mode: the annotations appear on my Mac

So you mean, you’re highlighting without entering Edit mode?

Yes - this is possible - isn’t it? I get the same annotations as I get after using the edit mode.

Yes, but I’m just trying to reproduce the behavior by doing what you’re doing.

I highlighted some text in a PDF outside Edit mode.
The sync icon showed there were unsynced changes.
Synced and the highlight showed up in DEVONthink.

I’m not seeing an issue in DEVONthink To Go 3.0.6 and DEVONthink 3.7

I can reproduce it anytime: indexed PDFs or PDF inside of the DT database - no difference.
I annotate outside of the Edit mode in DTTG 3.0.6 (17061). Now I can wait for hours (really - waited a long time to try it out) but will not see the changes in DT 3.7 on the Mac.
Now I enter the Edit mode in DTTG and make an annotation. Close the edit mode and it doesn’t take very long until the changes appear on my Mac.

Stay tuned for the next maintenance release as we have some modifications that may apply here. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Thank you! No problem - currently I try out Highlights as an external annotation tool and this seems to work quite well - DTTG and DT import those changes to the PDF quickly.
If Highlights would allow handwritten notes with the pencil - this would be my setup finally… (sorry, off topic)

No problem :slight_smile: