Sync Suddenly Broken

by support i mean something i can rely on :wink:
icloud is very fast and reliable with both bear and drafts, just not DT

What is your goal? Synchronization is a fairly ambiguous concept, and as such means many different things to many people.

Some users require internet access, some don’t and some find internet access easy, but not necessary. Some users attach there devices with a cable, some don’t. Some own a NAS and some don’t. Some require ‘immediate’ availability after sync, some don’t. Etcetera.

Encrypted (files and connection) internet based sync. I need the files available on all devices when i need them (this might be borderline immediate and sometimes 2 days). with icloud it never is, especially since DTTG never seems to sync in the background (but that’s another broken thing).

Other options could be to search for a webserver that allows for WebDAV, or store your data on a local NAS and connect that to the internet. Obviously there are risks involved in allowing a NAS to be available over internet, or storing your data on a server, though such risks usually can be mitigated with things like encryption. 2FA, strong passwords, fail2ban etc.

The relative disadvantage of using services like iCloud, Dropbox and others. is that you rely on their actions and availability, but the advantage might be their security features, price, ease of use etc. Whether the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, whether you regard some features advantages or disadvantages or whether you’re comfortable setting up your own NAS or cloud based server is up to everybody individually of course.

Therefore, I think your statement

isn’t necessarily the case.

my statement was in regards to cloud storage and paying multiple providers, your answer completely misses the point.

you suggest doing something myself and locally on top of that (how that is going to work with other apps like bear or drafts is beyond me). i guess that would be a DT only solution. unfortunately that is borderline disgusting, suggesting to the end user to do all of this to get DT sync working? come on, you just indirectly insulted the DT developers.

I’m in the same situation too.

Dropbox is broken because of this issue.
CloudMe is Europe only, I’m in the US.
iCloud is slow as molasses (hours to sync sometimes).
I don’t have access to a WebDAV service.

I’ve ended up using mostly Bonjour local sync, which is blazing fast but of course you have to be on a LAN (and no VPN) for this to work. Also it has a couple of bugs atm.

I am in USA and I use it

@rkaplan is correct. CloudMe is a European service but accessible in the US. I’ve had an account since started supporting it and I’m in the US as well.

Yes agreed you can access/use the European service (hooray for the world-wide internet), but for various reasons I do not wish to store some of my data outside the US.

Fair enough - though if you encrypt your database does it matter where it is stored?

1 Like

Aren’t there jurisdictions that can force you to hand over your keys? I seem to remember TSA agents requiring decription keys from notebook users…

To be fair, I have not idea how that is handled in the EU.

CloudMe is located in Sweden, which arguably established computer privacy laws decades before USA and the rest of EU did.

Sweden began addressing the issue of data security in the late 60s. The European GDPR now applies.

I think there is an argument that your data is more safe under the above rules than in USA. There may be an issue of “HIPAA compliance” if a large hospital organization wanted to use CloudMe but that is true of DT3 in general - for a small independent medical practice there should be no issue storing encrypted data in a GDPR-regulated country since GDPR is quite arguably a stricter standard than HIPAA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Act_(Sweden)#:~:text=The%20Data%20Act%20(Swedish%3A%20Datalagen,information%20systems%20handling%20personal%20data.

HI - just checking you received the support request - I’m not sure what next steps I need to do?

What’s the ticket number?
And after we get to the ticket in queue, we would respond through the support ticket system. You’d get an email from us.

Hello - are the ticket numbers allocated automatically? I don’t have one. I reported it as a bug from the programme and sent the log files on the 17th August, then again last night - neither time did I receive an automated reply or a ticket number. Do I need to do anything else?

Did you send the bug report to the default address? In this case you should receive an automatic reply.

Hi - I didn’t actually. Jim said it had been allocated to the wrong user, but I still haven’t received a ticket number

I’m in the same Dropbox-suddenly-not-syncing-hell as others on this thread. (All three devices, 1 Mac and 2 iOS, claim to be syncing OK and up-to-date. None of the 3 of them see recent edits/changes of any of the rest of them.)

What is the consensus on what is the most reliable sync method? I’m fine with establishing my own WebDAV or other server and doing a one-time manual careful re-sync’ing. Just please point me at the best way to avoid sync problems in the future. I’m not OK with having to deal with this multiple times.

thanks,
-Henry

I do not know what the “most reliable” method is - but one solution is to use CloudMe. I switched from Dropbox sync to CloudMe a number of months ago and it has been flawless syncing a large set of databases.

Thanks, I’m starting to eye Bonjour sync. The downside of no remote sync’ing is manageable (especially right now!). But haven’t decided yet.