About six months ago I set up a sync via direct connection between my iMac (host) and Macbook Air (client). It worked very well up until about three weeks ago. After I got back from a business trip (that I took my Macbook Air on), when I attempted to sync I got this error message:
“Could not open the connection (the specified host could not be found).” Both computers are on, open, and on the same network.
I contacted DTPO support and they suggested I delete the client from the Incoming Connections on the host computer, and set up sync again. I did that, and it worked.
However, I just got back from another business trip and experienced the same issue. Deleting the client and setting up sync fixed it, but this is obviously a pain to do on a regular basis.