Synching blues again?

I don’t understand your suggestion. I will definitely not clean my database in DTP, I need it. I have already tried to verify and repair it before posting here.

My configuration seems quite standard now: I have Bonjour and Cloudkit activated as you have suggested above (thia is why I could not understand you remark in the previous message about the Apple’s cloud services since Bonjour should be able to take care of this database too.
I am a bit at lost here because you suggest actions that I cannot find in DTTG.
Sorry for being such a bother but I cannot really continue to use DTP if I am not convinced that it reliable as before. Currently I start to have some serious doubts given the number of messages We have exchanged here for trying to solve a syncing problem that should not exist at all…

Re-read and understand the DEVONthink Handbook. Follow the instructions exactly.

I’m not going to repeat that stuff here else the risk of more mis-understandings.

I have read it before, when I was setting CloudkIt syn after having updated DTTG and DTP with that possibility. I have even done a clean install on the iPAD because the update has not been able to recuperate the old data. I have read it again, and I read there that activating Bonjour with Cloudkit is not a very good idea. This is why I was thinking but since it has been suggested above a solution to my synching problems, I have followed that advice and my data base become completely stuck.

INterestingly, now I have inactivated Bonjour connection to the laptop and Cloudkit seems to take charge of syncing this database. I cross my fingers…
But, ofcourse, probably I am back at square one: I had only cloudkit to start and I was meeting the highlights not synching between DTP and DTTG. I will make more trials to see if the problem is present again (normally it should, I have not changed much since, except activating bonjour and being stuck for two days).

What I have learned from this experience:

• Too many scattered settings concerning the synching between DTP and DTTG + Between general settings / sync store settings / database settings…

• I am not sure that DTP tries to sync first the most recently modified documents, so one could quickly get them on the other platforme and continue to work there if necessary. IN the past, it happened frequently to me that I needed to wait too much for getting the document on the other platform… Not really Hands-off kind of experience.

And to finish, DTTG has been syncing some documents in that database (I could see the syncing advancing in counting elements for this database), it says that it has finished syncing, and I don’t see any elements in DTTG in that database at the end. It counts zero element while when I do Verify and repair on this database in DTTG, it tells me that it updates more than 800 items. When I read the information on this DB, it says 1340 elements and 173 KB! The size is impossible, and the no element is visible when I enter the database.
DTP shows me all my groups and tells me that in total I have 1337 items corresponding to 2.7 Go of data.
I see that another big database has exactly the same amount of data on both ends.
I understand that from far, all this does not necessarily make any sense, and it is impossible to understand what is going on. I can assure you that I have been using DT for many years now, and I cannot see what is going on from near either…

Just chiming in to say that I’ve also been using Dt and DtTG for years – and still consider them to be the best available tools for my use case – but I’ve never been able to completely wrap my head around the syncing, and reading all these recurring discussions about it makes me think that I probably never will. It is complicated.

In DEVONthink To Go, select Help > Contact Us to start a support ticket. Thanks!

Just done now. Thank you! The automatic subjet is in French, but my mail is in English.

Just to give some information. After some advice from Devon, I have deleted this database and synched it again from scratch using Bonjour.
It seems to have worked… but I am really not satisfied with the current synching process.

My iPad and my iPhone have been synching with my laptop for some years already. And today I see DT activity indicating that it is synching many old files again. I really do not understand why. ANd of course, the most recent note that I would like to have on my iPhone because I will need to leave home with it, is not transferred while many old notes and files are being synched (thousands of them!).

This really does not look like a very rational behavior from the point of view of the user… :frowning:

45 minutes later, after having created this note, and I cannot get it on my iPhone because DT is doing some other strange synches… :frowning: They are made through BOnjour it seems because this is the only location that seems currently active on my DTTG iPhone. Cloudkit does not have the running wheel next to it.

DT should at least sync first the Global Inbox, so we could use it for this kind of urgent syncs… This does not seem to be the case because my note is in the GIB.

Sorry for bombing you, but I am really worried. Now I see that DT tries to delete some indexed files 5Dropbox asks me if I really want them to move out of the DB), and I have not touched these elements on my side… :frowning:

OK, I see that DT has again messed up with my Recherche DB and it has even deleted some indexed files that were on my Hard disk. I can see that, because I have been able to restore them from TimeMachine and I am sure that I have not deleted them myself…

That is becoming really worriying :frowning:

I have been advised to shutdown remote synching and to relay only to Bonjour, but this is not a feasible solution for me

The “missing” files are now on my HD, and when I ask DT to reveal them in Finder, it finds them, but I cannot ask it to relink them with the existing file. SO, I imagine that I need to delete these index elements one by one and index them again. This is quite a PITB :frowning:
And I am worrying now that DT has lost other files elsewhere…

I would really hate to go back to Evernote :frowning: I love DT’s intelligence.

What’s the path of the indexed Dropbox folder? And do you use multiple sync locations or definitely only Bonjour?

The path of the folder is: Darwin:Users:myildi:Dropbox:Bibliotheque

I have Bonjour and CloudKit active currently. DT seems to favor Bonjour first (and that is good, this connection should be favored when it is available I think).

Oups, no : I see that DTTG goes first to Bonjour, and then nevertheless to CloudKit (I am at home and both are available at this moment, since both machines are connected to the same network).

Bonjour has indeed a higher priority if it’s available. Did you clean the CloudKit sync store before doing this too?

Yes, several times :slight_smile:

And only one iPhone & one Mac are synchronized? Do you use any smart rules (or Hazel rules)?

Your logs are showing three databases merging in DEVONthink To Go.
Have you newly enabled three database to sync ?

Maybe one, but I have difficulty remembering after all these manipulations. I think that I have seen that my Teaching DB (Enseignement) was not synching with the iPAD and I have activated it, but I am not sure anymore.
Why merging would delete files indexed in DT, if I do not touch at all that folder?
If I remember well, you have told to me that that the DB Recherche was merged. When I Verify and repair it on iPAD or Macbook, I don’t see any error now that I asked DT to put in the garbage the records corresponding to these missing files. But I have the impression that DT has been eating my indexed files in the last months…
I see also some duplication errors in other notes in other DBs (that I have not modified simultaneously in DT and DTTG)…

I sync Macbook-iPAD-iPhone and not, I do not use any smart rules yet.