Synchronising causing duplicates

We still couldn’t reproduce this. Please choose Help > Report Bug while pressing the Alt modifier key and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com (on both Macs). On iOS please tap the ? button, choose Contact Us and send the email to same address. Thanks!

Hi

I have the same setup as @tonyjgreen and experience the same with indexed folder’s. I will investigate further and return interesting things appear :wave:

What’s the full path of these folders? Maybe app-specific folders in iCloud Drive?

@cgrunenberg

Right now I’m just testing one folder. It is located on my desktop, and I have the option “Desktop & Documents” folder enabled in iCloud. The folder is identical on two macs. The path is “~/Desktop/Indexed folder”. Maybe this path is presented to me though Apple’s ecosystem, and is different seen from api perspective.

At the moment I have 2 files in the folder, and DT shows these to files 2 times. I have attached a few screenshots.

Could this be a scenario:
Mac A creates a file Z in indexed folder
DV on Mac A picks up on the file and adds it to database
File Z shows up in the indexed folder on Mac B through Apple’s syncing
DV on Mac B picks up on the added file and adds it to the DB

Which version of DEVONthink & macOS do you use? Is the path (see Info inspector) of the items identical?

Mac OS Monterey 12.5.1 on both Macs
DV 3.8.5 on both Macs

Yes the path is identical (~/Desktop/Indexed folder) on both Macs and shows the same path in both DT and Finder

And there’s nothing special about your system like a moved user directory? Are you able to reproduce the issue?

I haven’t changed anything related to location of users, files, directories etc… I use a regular admin user on mac os.

I can reproduce the issue. I have created a new folder on my documents directory, which are also synced with iCloud. The same thing happens - although the duplicate file in DT takes a couple of minutes before it appears. It doesn’t happen right away! I will be happy to create a screen recording and/or provide you with log files in interest. Just say the word.

A screen recording would be great, just like the logs from both computers. Just choose Help > Report Bug while pressing the Alt modifier key and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com - thanks!

This is similar to a problem I have seen. I keep my Bookends attachments in a folder in iCloud (as recommended by Bookends) for synchronisation. Just lately, DEVONthink has been “imagining” duplicate files that are not in the Finder.

As you can see, it does not affect files added in June this year, and before that.

DEVONthink 3.8.5
macOS 12.5.1

That’s a slightly different issue related to application-specific iCloud Drive folders which the next release will actually fix.

1 Like

Thanks, good to know.

@cgrunenberg Bug reports from both Macs is on the way. Screen recording is ready and link is sent in a separate mail. I have personal stuff that takes a lot of time to blur, so I would prefer not to post the recording here.

1 Like

This is getting worse on my system. I have two folders that I have chosen to index. One is my Obsidian folder and the other is my LaTeX documents. While I work in Obsidian or my tex editor, the typed text disappear in front of me. Now and then a file gets (automatically) created in the folders, and those are copies of my document. Those files contains the missing text from my open files.

Example:
I work on file Work.tex and suddenly a large block of text disappear. I the folder where Work.tex is located, I can now find Work copy.tex with the missing text. Spending more time in the document makes another file Work copy-1.tex appear.

I had to remove these indexed folders from DT completely for now. Hope to find a fix soon

What’s the full path of these folders? In case of iCloud Drive folders I would highly recommend to wait for the next release. And is the option to duplicate items in case of sync conflicts enabled on any device?

Both folders are on iCloud Drive. Both Macs have the “Use lates document” enabled. I’m not sure about my iOS devices. I can check later tonight.

I will wait until next release to use index :pray:

The full path would be actually good to know.

Do you have both Macs on and running DEVONthink ?

@cgrunenberg

tex files are located in /Users/jakob/Documents/El/Undervisningsmateriale/
Obsidian files are located in /Users/jakob/Documents/Obsidian

@BLUEFROG Yes