Synchronizing, Indexing

Hi there,

I’m using DTPO, having a database without any imports, just indexed files (because I want the files to be available using MobileMe).
But I need some further information about the whole indexing/synchonising stuff.

1. Synchronizing is for updating the files, that are already indexed in my database, right? So if I do rename, move or remove an indexed file in the finder, the same thing happens to it in DTPO. But what happens if I delete, rename or do anything else with an indexed file in DTPO? Will this also affect the file in the finder?
  2. Adding a file to an indexed folder using the finder, will it also appear in DTPO after “synchronizing”?
  3. What would be the best way to have the folder trees in finder and DTPO synchron? Is there any chance to add a file to DTPO using the sorter or something like this, but the files will get stored in a particular folder (defined in DTPO) and just be added indexed to the database?

It would be great, if anybody helped me :slight_smile:

Regards,
Claw

If you delete a file in the database, you’ll be prompted to remove the file from the database or delete the file completely. If you rename a file in the database, it will be renamed in the FInder. As to to the ‘anything else’ part of the question, be aware that if you move an indexed file from one group in the database to another, the file will still be indexed, but it will not be moved from its original folder in the Finder.

Yes.

Perhaps the best way to organize the structure is to have all the folders in the FInder organized under one master folder, and then index just that one folder in the database. Attach the synchronize script that comes with DEVONthink (in the Extras folder) to that group in DEVONthink, and every time that group is selected in DEVONthink, all of the sub-groups will be updated.

It is not possible, at least not yet, for synchronize to automatically work in reverse. You’ll need to add the documents to the respective indexed groups in the database, manually select the documents, right-click, and select ‘Move to External Folder’.