Syncing methods

I have Bonjour off on the devices. On the Mac side in the Sync prefs, are the devices in Locations supposed to be listed as Offline as mine are?

Took awhile to get this right. A restart of DTTG and reconfiguring a bit. So, what I assume I have now is one Host (my Mac) with Bonjour on and two clients (iPhone and iPad) with Bonjour off. Getting it set that way wasn’t quite straight forward to me.

Created a test file on my iPhone. The Sync cloud at the bottom had a blue circle. I tapped it and it went to my Mac. Then went to my iPad and see a blue triangle at the Sync cloud. I tap it and it says “server busy.” What exactly is going on here? Shouldn’t the new file on the Mac come right over to the iPad now?

I just went into Locations on the iPad and tapped on the local network which then brought the file over. I shouldn’t have to do that, should I?

Yes, you can do that if you need to manually Sync something. Sync is not running constantly. It runs on an interval: 30-45 seconds after changes and up to 4.5 minutes of idle time.

Here’s some advice: Don’t watch for Syncing to happen. (And I did this too at first.) No one has time to sit and watch Syncing. In daily use, Sync just happens as you work. If you need to, you can manually Sync, otherwise, just let it do its thing.

Also, a “server busy” can often be cleared by relaunching DEVONthink. But again, in the midst of daily work, you probably won’t see this that often.

One last thing. The blue circle at the Sync cloud, I assume, represents a file that will be synced. What does the triangle mean?

The circle denotes unSynced changes.
The triangle denotes an error or a warning.

Just found that iCloud sync is now an option in the newest release of DTTG.
However, in setting up the iCloud option on first, my Mac and then on my devices, the changes from my Mac are not being synced over to my devices. I’ve set the encryption code on all.

There seems to be a difference between iCloud Drive (which is NOT recommended) and iCloud (which IS).

I selected iCloud, not iCloud Drive.

iCloud sync happens locally, then iCloud uploads to Apple’s servers then to devices with your Apple ID. We have no control over the speed or reliablity of that process.

I now see the delay with iCloud. I went back to the most reliable method. Nice thing I notice is that DT on my Mac doesn’t have to be at the front now for my devices to sync, as far as I can see

Since trying the iCloud sync, I’ve been notified that my iCloud limit has almost been reached. I can’t seem to find anything in my iCloud pertaining to DevonThink to delete. Where exactly is it stored? I was assuming iCloud Drive but nothing there.

The new iCloud Syncing uses the Core Data API I believe, NOT iCloud Drive. The Core Data API is not user-accessible in terms of actually accessing the data being managed.

If you want to see how much space applications using Core Data are using you can see it in:
System Preferences>iCloud>Manage… (the option near the bottom next to the storage graph).

This will show applications using iCloud Drive and Core Data.

Core Data is not meant to be user managed, it is meant to be managed by the application that has implemented it. That means you can’t just go in and randomly add or delete files relevant to a specific application – just like noodling around within a .dtbase2 file is likely to cause you grief, noodling around with Core Data files is likely going to cause you massive headaches.

This screen in System Preferences only allows you to delete the entirety of an app’s data that is stored for that reason. There is nothing that a human can sensibly do to the data stored by Core Data other than delete the whole container.

If you want to manage the data that DEVONthink has in iCloud in a more granular way, use DEVONthink’s Sync preferences pane in the app. If I understand your situation yo have decided to stick with Bonjour in the end? That likely means you should use DEVONthink to “Clean” the iCloud sync store and then disable it from preferences. Cleaning removes the contents of the Sync Store (that’s DEVONthink terminology) which should free up the previously-used space. You may want to double check the iCloud preferences pane once you have confirmed that “cleaning” is complete to ensure that it is no longer taking up space, and if it still is, use the “delete documents and data” for DEVONthink in that iCloud preferences pane only at that point.

If you are still wanting to sync one or more databases through iCloud, then you’ll either have to reduce the size of the databases, or exclude databases to fit within your iCloud Storage plan.

Thanks for the thorough explanation.

Actually, it is using “Documents in iCloud” which is like an invisible part of iCloud Drive that’s reserved for application use but that’s not exposed openly :slight_smile:

By no means. The whole set of iCloud APIs and services is definitely confusing.

Can’t figure this out. I keep getting notifications that my iCloud storage is reaching limit. I go in to iCloud to manage storage and have to delete DT data. Ive turned off DT in iCloud for Mac Nd al devices, yet it’s still syncing itself. What am I missing?

Update. Checked my iPhone’s iCloud setting and found DT turned back on. I’m sure I turned it off. Is it possible it a turned back on with the latest iOS update?

Yes, it’s possible.

I also have a problem synching DTTG with DTP using Bonjour. Mac (10.11.6) with DTP 2.10.1 is the server and iPad Pro with DTTG 2.6.2 is the client. I have them set up to synch manually, since I usually use the Mac on TP-Link ethernet. To synch, I switch the Mac’s Location to wifi that specifies the 5GHz network that the iPad uses. But when I check DTTG, the cloud icon is greyed out.
What seems to work is restarting the iPad. Then I get the blue cloud icon with a little circle attached. Pressing this does seem to synch DTTG to the Mac’s DDP.
Any suggestions for avoiding the restart of the iPad?

Thanks for a great product.
John Robert

Hey, John: In DEVONthink To Go , select Help > Contact Us to start a support ticket. Thanks!