Syncing Scripts, Smart Rules & Smart Groups

I really want this to work when I have forgotten to get up in time and prepare my MacBook. That was why I added sync (via CloudMe) for some of my databases; whilst I generally sync via Bonjour, I didn’t reliably sync to the most up to date state just before setting off. And this will be much the same…

I’m going to try using iCloud or OneDrive, simply because those are the two systems I have set up and running anyway.

I’ve just logged out and back into my AppleID which has got things sprung back into life. We’ll see :wink:

Thanks one and all for your suggestions and support :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yea, i get why a cloud space to be the intermediary is preferred…

You are noticing why I stopped trying to bend iCloud to my will. Just doesn’t happen.

:see_no_evil: That’s why I went for CloudMe for sync - if iCloud doesn’t even work properly with Apple’s own software, how could I possibly rely on it to work with anybody else’s…?

Sigh… yes, that’s indeed one of the methods to try and kick start iCloud Drive. :roll_eyes:

Oh and of course the usual trap for the unwary: don’t opt to leave a copy of the calendar on your device because otherwise when you are later forced to merge with the online version of the calendar some entries may become duplicated. When I’ve dealt with that problem often enough in the course of my lifetime, I may one day actually remember not to do it…

Oh yes, I’ve suffered the indignity of the duplicated Calendar entries myself… and yes, more than once.

2 Likes

Has this method to sync smart rules etc. been explained in more detail somewhere? I’m struggling to understand the process. Thanks

New user here.
Synced preferences & user config is pretty common these days.
Having this functionality built in to DEVONthink would be really useful.

1 Like

Though I understand your point, I also understand why they’re currently not doing that: People do not necessarily keep all their data(bases) in sync on all machines (think space restrictions etc.). So having smart rules, smart groups and scripts sync might cause problems if (e.g.) databases are missing on one machine (think moving stuff automagically into a particular database/group).

Also, smart rules, smart groups and scripts are not available on i*OS devices. While that might change for smart groups eventually, smart rules and scripts will probably not come to iOS in my lifetime. So syncing those would be limited to macOS anyway.

3 Likes