syncing when files change?

I like to index folders, but what is bugging me really is the lack of automatic sync of the folders. I use to select from menu “Synchronize” then waiiiit, and click to close this uninformative dialog about files that could not be read.

Is there any way tp make sync happen automatically when files change and to omit this dialog? Thanks.

Two approaches (neither of which will omit the notice of files that couldn’t be read):

1. Place all Index-captured files and folders under a single top-level Finder folder, and Index that folder. Now, applying the “Synchronize” command to the corresponding top-level group in a database will synchronize/update the entire collection of Index-captured items.

That also reduces the problem of breaking Paths to the Indexed items if they are renamed in the Finder, or moved from their Path location (so long as they are not moved outside the containing top-level Indexed Finder folder. This mitigates one of the reasons I don’t use Indexing, as it provides more freedom to reorganize/rename items in the Finder items without breaking Paths and losing information in the database. It also simplifies moving the database along with linked external files to another computer, e.g., if the top-level folder containing the external files was in the Documents folder, moving it to the same location on another computer will not result in broken Paths.

Of course, the larger the collection of Indexed items, the longer it will take for synchronization.

1. The supplied “Synchronize” script can be applied to one or more items by selecting the item (group or document) and attaching the Synchronize script to it in the Info panel within the database. Afterwards, each time that item is opened (e.g., by selecting a group in a view that opens it), synchronization will occur.

ok, could you, please, elucidate on the:

“The supplied “Synchronize” script can be applied to one or more items by selecting the item (group or document) and attaching the Synchronize script to it in the Info panel within the database.”

not so familiar with this yet, where is the script, how really does one apply it? Thanks!

The Synchronize script is included within the Extras folder on the disk image. You can copy it anywhere on your hard drive, select an indexed folder, bring up the Info pane, click on the ‘Select…’ button next to the script field, navigate to where you copied the script and you are all set. The indexed group will now have script icon attached to it in the list of group (next to to the up-right arrow that indicates that the group is indexed) to indicate that the group has a script attached. Every time you select the group, the script will execute and the group will be synchronized.