tag on import from OSX mail?

Hello folks.

I love adding things to DEVONthink from Chrome using the Chrome plugin. The HUD display gives me everything I need, including the ability to add tags on import.

However, when I add from OSX Mail using the OSX mail plugin, it doesn’t allow me to add tags. Why not? Is there any way to kick messages from mail to DEVONthink and tag them on the way in?

I use MailTags, but that may not be an option for you. I don’t know of a way to do this using the Mail plugin.

No it’s not possible. Instead of using the Mail plugin, you could potentially modify the Mail Applescripts to apply Tags but there’s nothing built in for this.

There are a number of things I’d love to see in a revamping of the Import Mail functionality:

1. Ability to add tags
  2. Ability to dedicate a target directory for the imported mails. (seems that the imported mailbox is created whereever you might be camped in the interface).
  3. Preference to keep or delete emails in the source mailbox upon import.
  4. Ability to work with more mailbox formats (maildir, mh hierarchies, etc…)

Just my .02 cents.

I would add to @ape’s list

1. Only one message at a time can be dragged to the DEVONthink dock icon and imported – would be useful if all selected + dragged messages would be imported together

That appears to be a limitation of Mail.app and the Dock. I cannot drag multiple messages from Mail to the Dock icon of any app. Dragging multiple messages out of Mail to locations other than the Dock (Sorter, Yoink, etc.) works fine.

The dock changed under-the-hood concerning drag and drop behavior. It’s pretty well documented that it’s not as friendly as it once was.