Tags, Comments, URL, or Details

Tags, for me. I do not care at all for the file type in DTTG. Hardly ever in DT.

04 - Tags

Definitely Tags if I had to choose one. however, i do agree with chrk that Keep It has a fantastic customization feature for details that I would love to see DEVONThink mirror. At this point it’s the only feature (outside of some color and icon customization) that I think Keep It does better than DEVON

2 Likes

I would vote for tag, personally.

good point - iPad has much more space available, indeed, so why not a different UI!?

+1

Tags for me.

Mmmmm…nnnnnnnnn…. tags.

I know, we can create separate iPhone and iPad apps and you can purchase both! :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Well, that’s an interesting response. Yes, you could create two apps and sell them separately. Or you could develop your iOS/iPadOS apps to target the most commonly used platform for your app. Or just pretend that the mobile platform is still unimportant in 2021 and do whatever as no one will care/notice anyway.

2 Likes

I used Keep It before coming to DEVONthink and I got to agree with this response. Keep It has complete feature parity between Mac/iOS/iPadOS and using DEVON on mobile feels like a huge step back in comparison. In fact, due to its shortcomings, I mostly treat DTTG as a read-only client and switched to Apple Notes for mobile friendler features.
I’m not saying DTTG should or could have the same features as the Mac version – I know that feature parity for Keep It is easier to achieve because it isn’t as complex on the Mac – but device specific optimizations shouldn’t be such an unusual request. Other powerful apps like Things and OmniFocus do it very well too.
I also know that during my search for alternatives to Evernote in the last year (after having both used Evernote and Keep It), I came across dozens of posts online, in which people weren’t even considering DT as an Evernote alternative, because of its iOS limitations and rather went in the direction of Apple Notes, Keep It, Craft.do or Nimbus, etc.
Even though this thread is appreciated as a sign of wanting feedback from users, the limiting track on which answers here have to stay reflects DTTG’s own limitations.

3 Likes

Tags for me

Mind you - just checked on the iphone DTTG3 - if I have tagged the file, then tags appear below the file name. If not tagged, then other information ie pages (PDF) and file size appear

Correct. And thanks for your vote.

I prefer ALWAYS showing the current info - the number of pages, file size, and creator.

Even if tags, comment, or the URL wouldn’t be shown?

Jim, in a word, yes. I find the current info display very useful. If it were to change, I would like a preference option to keep it as is. Thanks!

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Tags.

If I only had one choice it would be tags. As the name might not give a full description of the content of an item the tags may give you further hints.

Totally agree with the comments about “let the user choose”

But if pushed (or if setting this up for myself) then I would choose Tags

** But even more helpful would be to implement user-defined smart groups on DTTG!!! That would be much more helpful to let me maximize the small real estate size of iOS

1 Like

My answer is 4