Tags entered in Sorter not showing up in DEVONthink

Hi,

Tags I add to notes I write in the sorter don’t show up in DEVONthink. Any suggestions on how I could get this to work? I’m on DEVONthink PRO 2.9.1

Thanks

Confirmed, notes made in Sorter in 2.9.1 do not have tags. There’s the additional error (possibly) in that rich text notes made in Sorter in 2.9.1 are saved as .rtfd instead of .rtf – even if the note has no embedded images.

The alternative to taking notes in Sorter is Tools > Take Note…

1 Like

Apparently this bug persists in DTP 3! Annoying.

Tools > Take note requires you to be in DTP to use it, which defeats the purpose. And even then it still opens up Sorter.

The Take Note function in the Sorter is not a bug. It is how it works in DEVONthink 3 (and has been this way since beta testing and public release in 2019).

Regarding tags being preserved from the Sorter, this will be addressed in the next maintenance release. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

I’m glad to hear that tag preservation will be addressed in the next maintenance release. For the record, I’m endlessly patient and understanding! I’m up to my ears all day long in software. It’s just the nature of things. So how else do I keep my sanity? :grinning:

Those two paragraphs were addressing different things. The first one was about tags in Sorter, which you addressed in your reply. The second was about Take note opening the Sorter, not a bug.

This is a major bug in my mind. I made a research for a thesis and saved over 50 bookmarks/web archive/PDF converted sources. I didn’t have a look into Devonthink.

After finishing this process/step of my research I realised that no tags are saved and I need to tag all sources again, This is very, very annoying and time consuming.
Devonthink is explicitly a software for researchers and for building a knowledge base. Tags are important to find and sort all the relevant sources for writing a thesis. Your post is from June. And nothing happened so far.
It seems, that this is acceptable for you.

Also the PDF conversion is buggy, in my mind.

Now every time I save a source with the sorter I have to prove, if the conversion of the PDF is O.K. and not an empty page without any notification about an incorrect process.

Now every time I need to add tags in Devonthink after saving the source via the sorter, which is a really bad UX.

How long should I wait for a solution, for this very, very important feature in your software?

Devonthink is explicitly a software for researchers and for building a knowledge base.

Just a correction: DEVONthink isn’t merely made for researchers. It’s useful to a broad range of people. :slight_smile:

Also the PDF conversion is buggy, in my mind.

Single page or paginated?
Buggy in what way?

How long should I wait for a solution, for this very, very important feature in your software?

We don’t comment on development timeframes. It is not the only issue / feature we are addressing for the next release. It won’t be terribly long, I’d say, but it won’t be tomorrow either.
Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Thanks for your feedback :slight_smile:
I will find a way to deal with it.

Blank Pdf, Only a few lines of text, overlapping spacing of textlines. If I have the next website with problems I post a link here.

You’re welcome.
And yes, please post a URL for us to test, if you find another problematic place.

Cheers!