Tags Randomly Being Added Without User Input

Thank you for the kind words. I will delete manually as you suggest.

The answer is actually, No. I have never manually added a tag to anything in DT. I thought perhaps it was an unknown feature of Classification.

Regardless, I once purchased a Glock Model 21 Pistol which was a Firearm from Gander Mountain. It was more than I could handle so executed a legal Proof of Transfer to a licensed FFL dealer and got rid of it.

Ha. What a deal. My whole life event was memorialized via tagging.

I appreciate your kindness and patience. Best regards to each of you who helped me.

Youā€™re welcome.

PS: Yes, a .45 is a bit of a cannon. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve competitively shot targets for 50 years. When my right thumb eventually lost all cartilage at its base (bone on bone) a .45 ACP brought tears to my eyes with every recoil. Now I use high-end .22s.

PS: The day last week I accidentally began indexing, it was the Finder that was being indexed. Even though it only ran for seconds before I canceled it, a few tagged files with years of bank/financial statements were indexed. Apparently, since the Parent folder had a tag simply so that my older eyes could see it more readily, all Children within the folder shared the attribute. I deleted the Finder folder in DT being indexed since they all still reside in my Finder on my iMac, and presto, the tags all disappeared in DT. Once again, user error on my part.

As I think about the entire process, is there a good reason why I might want to index everything in my Finder and have it visible in DT?

Ouch!!
Iā€™m actually shopping for a .38, as Iā€™m partial to the look of revolvers :slight_smile:

is there a good reason why I might want to index everything in my Finder and have it visible in DT?

Indexing is not something to take lightly, especially with the tighter integration with the Finder.

And everything would not be advisable, whether importing or indexing. You should always be juducious in what you add to your databases, as noted hereā€¦

1 Like

Your were right on target in your 3rd comment about the Finder possibly showing the indexes. I just accidentally saw the new folder in my Reference DB las night.

Best revolver I have ever owned and still do is a S&W Model 19, 4 inch. I only shoot .38 Specials in it. Sweetest thing I have.

Thanks for the admonition and encouragement on judicious use of my DB. Very sound advice.

I started DT to begin a paperless office. Iā€™ve since purchased most DT tools (Agent, Sphere, etc) and also enjoy research projects. Generally, when I have learned all I want on a topic I delete all but one or two of the bookmarks that best describe the answers I needed and put them in an new, easy to find Group.

Iā€™ll be reading the link you provided very soon.

1 Like

Just read your June 16, 2015, article. Tremendously good analogy. Thanks. I believe most of my DT habits have been pretty solid. I see generally no value of having anything in DT that I have in Finder with a couple of exceptions: annual state and federal tax returns; legal and critical health records, and the like. But I keep them to a minimum.

Everything in DT is in a Group with a description that makes good common since to me even if only one item will ever be in the Group.

I also spend about 15 minutes each week scanning and deleting items that have become irrelevant or no longer useful. I really try to put ā€œhard edgesā€ around each DB and each item within the DB. I know I do not tap all the capabilities of this powerful application but also spend time in the tutorials provided regularly and am going through the upgrade book Joe Kissell released a few months ago.

I donā€™t use a feature generally if I donā€™t understand the benefits and/or the implications. But, sometimes I might get a bit ahead of myself. :innocent:

Thank you for bailing me out of my mistake.

Thanks and youā€™re very welcome. Glad to be of service. :slight_smile:

Everything in DT is in a Group with a description that makes good common since to me even if only one item will ever be in the Group.

This is exactly what we advocate regarding using DEVONthink. If the way you organize makes sense to you, enabling you to efficiently organize and find what you need, then youā€™re ā€œusing it correctlyā€.