Tags/slow metadata

Two things - a lot of my tags kept disappearing and I think I figured out why. If a lot of items have the same tag that I want to remove from all of them, I highlight the docs and delete the common tag (which is located in the tag bar.) But it actually deletes all the tags in all those documents, including the non-shared ones. Why is that?

1. I have a boolean metadata that is just whether something has been processed or not. It takes like over 10 seconds for it to actually select and it seems to throw my computer into a tizzy - gets louder, heats up, obviously using a lot of resources for this simple check box. Any reason for this?

The contextual menu command “Remove” of the tag in the Tags bar (or in any tagging field) removes the complete tag like in version 2. But if you only want to remove this tag from the selection, then just delete it from the field.

Could you please launch Apple’s Activity Monitor application (see Applications > Utilities), choose DEVONthink 3 while it’s still busy in the list of processes, select the menu item View > Sample Process and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com? Thanks in advance!

I’m confused by this response since i am just deleting it from the field. but if five documents have tag G, but each one also has its own individual tag - lets say a b c d e - highlighting them all and deleting G also deletes a b c d and e. does that make sense?

Not yet unfortunately. Which field do you actually use? Both the tags field of the Info inspector and the tagging bar should only support entering of new tags in this case.

if i highlight docs that have the same tag, only that tag shows up in the tagging bar.

But this should only be possible if all selected items have the same tags, otherwise only adding should be possible. A screenshot showing both the tags bar, the selection and their tags would be useful (e.g. switch to List view and enable the “Tags” column). Thanks!

yes, precisely. that’s what i’m saying. all the items have the same tags. but when i delete that ONE tag - the only one in the tag bar - ALL the tags for ALL the items get deleted, including the ones not shared. see here:Screen Recording 2019-05-16 at 11.21.18 AM.zip (2.1 MB)

I’m guessing these are tags nested under books - all, similar to this…

Db%20%E2%80%94%20%22Console%22%202019-05-16%2011-47-06

Removing the parent Tag, here Positional Tags, also removes the child Tags.

Nope, they are not

Thanks! Good to know. And I confirmed the deletion of common Tags removes the other tags as well, when deleted via Backspace in the Tags bar.

NOTE: The Tags are no longer nested here.

Removing the common Tag…

Thanks for the screen recording, beta 2 will fix this.

1 Like