Take Rich Note from Services Truncates Images

I use DT a lot for research, and use the "Take xx Note" Services menu item frequently.

The problem: DT forces the width of both Text and Rich documents to 7.19 inches whatever view you’re using. It’s a non-issue if the document contains only text. But if a Rich Text note has images, they are truncated if wider than 7.19 inches.

If you double click the doc you can see the ruler presets. Though text docs can have no ruler, but they seem to have the same preset. The width can be made narrower, but not wider.

The only way to get around this is to:

1. Create a new document
  2. Double click it to display it as a page
  3. Copy the selected text/images from the source
  4. Paste the selection into to the DT document. The images will not be truncated, since the right border is set 11.5 inches.

I have searched the Help within the program, the PDF manual and the forums, and have found no reference to this. As an official Old Guy I might have missed something. I would be delighted to be enlightened!

Mike

Additional info, and another workaround:

"Append Rich Note" adds text that is rewrapped and images that are truncated, as described in my previous post. Consistent, at least. This happens no matter what view you are using, and there appears to be no way to fix the margin with the ruler.

But the following workaround will fix the margin for appended rich text:

1. BEFORE appending anything, double click on the note to get a full screen view. The margin will be truncated, as described.
  2. Use "Append Rich Note" to add data to this doc

Voila! The right margin is changed to the maximum 11+ inches. AND the originally truncated images and rewrapped text are restored! Apparently the data is there all along, you just can’t see it.

So far, this is the only way I’ve found to fix the margin of notes that do not have appended data. Just append something, then delete it. A kluge, but it works.

Don’t get me wrong…I’ve been using DT for just a few weeks and I find it is the best program I have ever found for storing and organizing raw research notes. I use it for the internet, as expected, but more importantly for scans, documents and URL’s that have been filling dusty corners of my hard disk and office before now. I really don’t know how I got along without it!

Thanks for a great program!
Mike

Actually DT doesn’t modify the data received by services, DT just adds the contents to the database. And DT uses the default rulers of OS X too. However, we’ll check if thee’s something wrapping the documents to a certain width and fix this if necessary in the upcoming version 1.8.1a.