Taking notes Inside or outside DT?

That’s what I do.

My Quick Note workflow is a shortcut/script
that creates a blank note, then opens it in DT
I’m usually fine editing with the DT editor, but have the option of switching to an external editor

1 Like

My quick note method is to press Control-Option-N and use the Sorter’s Take Note function.

1 Like

I’m doing markdown via external editor. DT supposed to be coming out with a better markdown editor - look forward to that :grinning:

Are you referring to our upcoming text editor in DEVONthink To Go?
It’s a general purpose text editor that will be a better experience for rich text, Markdown, plain text, etc.

1 Like

Thanks to all for suggestions!
at the moment (given my newbie knowledge of DT/DTTG) my two goals are:

• an automatic way of creating journal entry in DTTG (that almost matches -in a simpler way of course- with DT Daily Journal)
  • an easy way of creating a note (a la Zettelkasten) in DTTG

thanks for help

Can you add more detail to “automatic way of creating journal entry in DTTG”
I see the two shortcut entries posted above Taking notes Inside or outside DT? - #15 by SlickSlack

an easy way of creating a note (a la Zettelkasten) in DTTG

Again, more details
I use DT to store my notes generally “a la Zettelkasten”
For me, this means tags and note links
I haven’t progressed the to atomic notes …

How do you link notes in DTTG?

1 Like

I prefer using DT and DTTG to take notes. That’s one thing they excel at. The notes can have a lot of different formats. I only use indexing as a last resort if the files are better off being handled directly in another app (i.e. Bookends). Keeping as much as possible in DT is preferable for me. I simply love having files, notes, links, etc concerning one project in one place. It really helps my productivity.

Good luck!

DTTG has a copy item link feature
I access it via the Share menu

So, for example you are writing note A in DTTG. And you remember that you have another note B that you want to link to this note. So you:

1. Open note B
  2. Share menu → Copy link
  3. Open note A
  4. Paste devon link somewhere
  5. Open note B
  6. Copy note B’s title or note name
  7. Open note A
  8. Replace devon link with a markdown link [title](devon link)

Is that it? Or you have somehow automated this, hopefully?

1 Like

I also do most of my markdown work in Devon Think. Find it too cluttersome to always open up different apps and bla bla. My setup with certain markdown CSS and fonts looks like this:

In the top is the Zettelkasten folder with lots of linked markdown notes. I also want to be able to search fast etc. so I prefer to see the files all the time. In lower left, the white space, is the markdown editor with a certain font I like. It sort of already renders a few of the markdown like headers, italics etc. (only the links stay unrendered, thus not really sexy, but informative). In the lower right is the rendered output using a markdown CSS only slightly changed from the famous one here in the forum. This shows rendered links and makes reading easier.

Usually I work on a 24" screen at work, which then renders the white working space for markdown in lower left in such size that it’s fine for me.

But that’s just my 2 cents (Mein Senf!).

5 Likes

thanks for sharing! would be very curios to learn where the DTGraphView icon in the upper left hand corner of your sceen shot leads to…:slight_smile:

look here: Graph view : a network visualization script for DT

I’m using drafts at present, to grab ideas, as a grab all inbox, then sort. I can tag there for my zettlekazen.

Is there a connection to Devonthink?
I use Devonthink (Mac) and DTTG (IOS) “at present, to grab ideas, as a grab all inbox, then sort. I can tag there for my zettlekazen”

1 Like

Yes, in drafts you have a side folder that enables you to flick it to DT with unclick.

Hi Bluefrog! I’m familiar with the Take Note function in the Sorter, but not the Control-Option-N. Where is that shortcut? In what context does it work? (E.g., is it “internal” to DT3?)

Randy

I set it in DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sorter.

Got it. Thanks. (Actually, in mine it was set as Control-Shift-N, which was why it didn’t work when I tried Control-Option-N!)

Randy