Text and PDF Contents

In the DEVONtechnologies NEWSLETTER 03/2003 under the TIPS & TRICKS section it states:

“With DEVONthink 1.6 we’ve slightly changed the way we store text and PDF contents to improve the overall performance dramatically. To fully benefit from these changes, deactivate the option ‘Set URL to file path’ in the preferences, export all your contents and re-import them so that they’ll use the new structure.”

I deactivated the option, then exported and re-imported all my contents. Should I now reactivate the option ‘Set URL to file path’ in the preferences for new content and ongoing use of DEVONthink? Or are you recommending that this option be left deactivated?

Thank you.

Gerry

If you delete files after importing them, then you should better deactivate this option. Otherwise, activate this option and you are able to use the "Launch URL" command to open the original files.

If I delete the original files outside of DEVONthink that were imported into DEVONthink? I don’t think I really understand the function of this preference ‘Set URL to file path’, or the commands Content/Open Externally … and Content/Launch. I’ll read about this again in the User Manual. But perhaps you can explain this more fully to me?

Thank you.

Gerry