Text not shown as being selected prior to highlighting

When I upgraded to DT3, text is not shown as being selected when I go to select text in a PDF for purposes of highlighting. For example, when I double-click on a word to select it, there is no gray shading or other indicator that the text has been selected. When I got to apply highlighting, the highlighting is applied. But when selecting multiple lines or multiple words for highlighting, I cannot determine whether my selection is correct because the text doesn’t show up as actually being selected.

Is this a bug or do I need to change a setting?

Thanks,
Josh

Welcome @jreisberg

• Does this persist after quitting and relaunching DEVONthink?
  • If so, what operating system are you running?

Yes. Still persists even after I quit. Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6.

Do you use dark mode? Or does the PDF contain any text (see word count in navigation bar or kind in Info inspector - in case of PDFs with text it’s “PDF+Text”)?

There is text in the PDF. The issue must be Dark Mode, which I use. When I modify my dark mode settings in System Preferences, I can get the highlighting to work, but only if I change the “accent color” to something other than graphite. For example, if I change the accent color to blue, the selected text in the PDF in Devonthink is selected as blue. But, all my MacOS icons have blue accent instead of graphite.

That I need to change my global color settings in Mac OS to get visual text selection in Devonthink is somewhat annoying.

The selection color is handled by macOS’ PDFKit framework, it’s unfortunately not customizable.

1 Like