The "Inbox" - thoughts and problems

I understand that in the application preferences I select the inbox for a particular database which is already something to get used to (pulldown menu changes depending on open database - should therefore be in file menu I think).

Anyway, all works and from various scripts the content is put into that inbox.

However, when I select an email message in Entourage, and then go to the Script menu (Apple’s) and choose “Add Message(s) to DEVONthink” – then this message does not get into my previously set up inbox.

It arrives so to speak at the root level of the database. This root level is really weird, I think, because it’s actually not a folder! You have to click somewhere into the “gray” void at the left side of the source pane - only then that imported email message is visible.

I think that the script should (if possible of course) put the email message into my normal inbox!

Otherwise I’d have 2 different in folders :smiling_imp:

Thanks,

Martin

That’s not yet possible but will be in the future.

I don’t see why that would not be possible, you just have to change ```

property pLocation : “/”

to 

property pLocation : “/Inbox”

works fine with my DevonThink. :wink:

Greetings

Sooner or later all scripts will use the new “incoming group” property and then such customizations shouldn’t be necessary anymore.

Ok, but next time don’t say it’s not possible, when it’s just a little change in the script. :wink:

Greetings

It was definitely not possible to automatically use the inbox specified in the preferences :slight_smile:

Yeah, that’s right but he asked:

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Greetings

Christian’s response was accurate. :slight_smile:

There has been a wide range of user comments about location placement of an individual email message selected by the Add to DEVONthink Pro Office option in Mail’s Message menu.

Many of those comments favor the ability to place the incoming message anywhere the user wishes, e.g. into a project group, rather than into an existing mailbox group. But some request that the message be sent to an existing mailbox group rather than to the group designated in Preferences to receive new content. So some users differ as to what the ‘normal’ inbox should be.

AppleScript has some rather irritating limitations. So Christian is working on an approach that will revolutionize scripting. Not only will a script telepathically read the user’s intentions, but if no choice has yet been made the script will check the future to determine if the user subsequently makes a choice.

As Christian noted, there will likely be changes. :slight_smile: