The light relief thread (also known as "confessions of idiocy")

I have just spent some (undisclosed amount of) time working on a new AppleScript script to process all of my diary records in DEVONthink. Exports from Day One neither include the name of the day in the Date: heading nor align the date neatly. Surely I could do both with a simple script, I thought…

theOldDiaryDate is not defined Script editor repeatedly barked at me. Stupid thing—of course it’s defined: look at that line…there! And so I struggled, adding return this and return that all over the place to try to home in on the problem.

Like the BBC nature documentary camera crews who “on the very last day were packing their equipment when suddenly…” they got what they came for I did eventually notice I had a definition for theOldDairyDate. AppleScript clearly milked that one for all it was worth.

Am I the only fool here?

Stephen

7 Likes

Welcome to the club

I wonder what the record is for # hours spent searching for a bug caused by one typo

1 Like

Definitely not. I had a lot of fun with AppleScript and typos every then and now too :laughing:

2 Likes

Thank you both for the comfort. I leave scope for any other willing volunteers to entertain us with tales of scripting woe… :grin:

Stephen

1 Like

I’ve done that with length of numerous times - something about length leads me to mistype it and read over the mistake again and again :see_no_evil: so much for confessions of a …

2 Likes

I don’t think your data would appreciate that. Perhaps you should call her theYoungDairyDate. :thinking:

I’m assuming she’s a farm girl :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like

Picture me: A lawyer looking for his “trail notes.”

2 Likes

Well, you don’t want to get lost in the woods now… do you?

And without those notes, you’ll never get to Oregon. :thinking:

:stuck_out_tongue: