The local sync is a huge frustration

I went through a lot of pain to acquire the new version of Devonthink for my ipad.
I am still in pain and frustration because it is constantly failing.

I setup a local syn; works for a couple of days; and fails.

Once it goes/offline/, there is no way to get it up again. I have to start from scratch and sync the whole database, and, again to end up doing it again and again.

I am so frustrated with this.

Restarting the app or rebooting the device should be sufficient. What kind of devices do you actually synchronize, are incoming Bonjour connections enabled on all of them or only on one central server (as recommended)?

Yes, I have disabled Bonjour on the ipad.
The mac is supposed to be the server.
It connects for a while; syncs and then stops.

Are any warnings/errors logged on the Mac or the iPad?

NO. it just says offline on the ipad. The mac looks fine from the outlook (incoming connections available).

By the way, when I delete the old sync which says offline, and start a new local sync, does it compare the files, or just duplicate them?

Adding the same server again shouldn’t affect the databases. But is the address of the new server actually the same as the removed one?

What do you mean by address? It is the same database, the same mac, the same setting on the server side.

The address of the server in your local network might change (e.g. depending on the router).

I don’t know about that. I am still using the same router.

The storage doesn’t seem to grow; so, that is a good sign that it is not duplicating the documents at least.

Please test the next time whether restarting DEVONthink To Go, the iPad or the Mac will fix this issue, thanks.

ok, I will do that.
The strange thing is that I had the syncs side by side. The old was saying Offline, while the new one was syncing.

A screenshot showing the old & new sync location might be useful. In addition, please choose Help > Report Bug in DEVONthink 3 while pressing the Alt modifier key and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com - thanks!

Hello,
I don’t if this is your case, but I have met this problem for some time and changing the sync cable by a new one seems to solve the problem. I could charge my ipad with the old one but maybe the sync part was having problems.

3 Likes