There must be a better way.

There’s also this, from another thread.

If a document is already available in PDF format, I prefer to download that, rather than print to pdf.

One reason is that Apple’s PDF generator created pretty big files compared to just about any other PDF tools.

It’s also not very smart. If you are viewing a PDF, and choose “Print → Save as Pdf…” it creates a new PDF instead of simply saving the existing one. I just did a test using the DevonTHINK Pro Office manual, and the generated PDF was 20% larger than the original.

Still, using your message as a starting point, I solved my own problem which was similar to that of WaldoNJ (who started this thread).

I have a DEVONthink Import folder on my desktop, but the the script I had attached to that folder was Import & Delete. I switched it to Import to selected group, and that solved one problem but created another. Now my files were piling up in my DEVONthink Import folder.

So I modified the script. I named my new script Import to selected group & Delete, and it does exactly what I want.

Since others may find it useful, I’m including the code below. I’m also attaching it to this post here:DEVONthink - Import to Selected Group & Delete.zip (3.46 KB)If you want to use it, download it and save it to:
~/Library/Scripts/Folder Action Scripts

(Normally I wouldn’t zip such a tiny file, but the forum software here won’t let me upload a file with a .scpt extension.)

-- Import to Selected Group & Delete
-- A Folder Actions script intended for use with DEVONthink
-- Created by Steven Klein, August 1, 2014.

-- Based on similar scripts created by Christian Grunenberg.
-- His scripts are copyrighted; I assert no copyright over this script.

on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving added_items
	try
		if (count of added_items) is greater than 0 then
			tell application id "DNtp"
				launch
				set theGroup to display group selector
			end tell

repeat with theItem in added_items
				try
					set thePath to theItem as text
					if thePath does not end with ".download:" and thePath does not end with ".crdownload:" then

tell application id "DNtp"
							set theRecord to import thePath to theGroup
							if exists theRecord then tell application "Finder" to delete theItem
						end tell
					end if
				end try
			end repeat

end if
	end try
end adding folder items to

The script is nice. Thanks. For many users it’s simpler to change the Import preference to “Select Group” instead of “Inbox”. Doing so causes the standard “import” folder action to trigger DEVONthink’s prompt for the destination group.

Many thanks for this script @stevenjklein, it’s exactly what I was hoping to find when I logged in.

I am enjoying the thread as well. Hazel is a powerhouse Mac app that I way underutilize. I will see how I can do this as well.

I have a macro that I still have to build to resolve downloading a CSV file that will format properly for use with MoneyDance. I am not sure how people say they are using DTPO for their finances? Curious to hear more on this?

Just to mention It as the OP states newness to the MAC OS, KeyboardMaestro is another powerhouse app. With KM, essentially a system wide macro app that can also run Applescripts, trigger menus and all sorts of things, there is much you can do.

I recently used KM to solve a problem where RichText Notes in DTPO print too small. Using one key press a KM macro tells DTPO to open with text edit, and It does. It was so much easier and far more pleasant that figuring It out using Applescript.

I don’t use DEVONthink to track my finances. I do use it as an archival solution for statements, tax forms, etc. That makes it really easy to go back and research things if I need to.

I think actually tracking expenses and income, categorizing, etc is best done in software that understands money. For me, I do reporting off a homemade database with some R code (because hey, I’m a programmer) but there are a lot of packages out there which can work for you.

Wow. It certainly was easier for you to do this, wasn’t it? :smiley: