Thumbnails in Inspector - how to resize?

Trialling DT3.0 and am impressed but not yet ready to use it for my day to day work.

It is extremely important to me to have cover flow and widescreen as in DT2 and that is now possible. However, when I select thumbnails in the Inspector, a multi page document shows only 4 pages whereas 8 - 10 is possible in DT2 (A4 portrait). I compile documents in what is now the Inspector but 4 pages does not let me see enough of the document. I cannot find a way to customise the thumbnail size either in any of the menu bar settings or by dragging the document pane window to the right (as in resizing bookmarks in Acrobat).

Is it possible to resize or have I missed a setting?

No, you can’t resize the thumbnails. They are relative to the width of the Inspector. If you widen the Inspector pane, you will see two to three rows of thumbails, depending on the size of your screen.

PS:

but not yet ready to use it for my day to day work.

It’s not meant for day to day work yet. DEVONthink 3 is in beta testing, not an “early access program”. It is meant for testing, finding and reporting bugs. It should not be used in mission-critical or production environments. Also, we advocate running it on a separate macOS user account with test data or copies of data.
This is obviously the users’ choice.

No, you can’t resize the thumbnails. They are relative to the width of the Inspector. If you widen the Inspector pane, you will see two to three rows of thumbnails, depending on the size of your screen.

It’s why I commented about not being able to resize like in Acrobat - by narrowing the bookmark pane. I cannot do that with DT3. Using a 27" monitor which is exclusively for DT (my paperless office). I can only display 3 ½ pages (originally A4). If I widen the pane to have additional thumbnail columns, I must then sacrifice the document viewer pane or reduce the columns (name/create date/from/to/kind)

My comment about using DT3 was directed more to several of the users who have commented about converting to DT3. I am running an old file but rely on DT2 for my day to day work. I would never commit “live” files to a beta (especially one that is already earmarked for a v2). That said, it is a very well executed and sound beta.

I would never commit “live” files to a beta (especially one that is already earmarked for a v2). That said, it is a very well executed and sound beta.

Glad to hear it and thanks! :slight_smile:

Development would have to comment on / assess the request to change thumbnail sizes. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Jim, what I find strange is that DT3 has been programmed to display a minimum number thumbnails of 3 ½ A4 pages in the Inspector pane but if I expand to 2 columns I can display 6 thumbnails in each column. In DT2, in a single column I can display 10 thumbnails.

The reason why I think being able to display thumbnails in DT3 as in DT 2 is that I sometimes am looking for a particular page in a document and can recognise it from the thumbnail. Usually, I will want to extract it for inclusion in another document compilation. It is faster to scan the thumbnails rather than open the document to look for it.

Actually, we had many people wanting the larger thumbnails, especially in text-heavy documents that can’t be easily differentiated by a small thumbnail.

1 Like

Yes, and, from time to time, I do also but having the flexibility to reduce the size would be helpful, unless it is somehow tied to the default size of the Inspector pane which makes changing difficult.