Tips for splitting a database

Trying to split a 23 gb database. It contains email. Splitting because a 23 db database is too cumbersome and moves very slowly.

Splitting into years. E.g., 2014 emails, etc. When I create a new db, and then try to move contents of the larger db into it, nothing happens. It just sits there. The log will show me various “fails” of specific individual emails, but nothing else much seems to be happening.

Initially I thought I was just being impatient, perhaps trying to do too many things at once, but no. Nothing. Half hour later no changes.

Thanks for the tips. I have most of my docs in the Global Inbox (~200k items) and I want to move them into several new databases. Do these options work to split up the Global Inbox?

So far I have tried to put all of my folders under one new folder and use the ‘Move To’ command to move the one new folder - this hasn’t worked (the computer hangs). Can I make a finder copy of the Global Inbox database and open it as a new database, and then delete files from the Global Inbox (i.e. follow your guide here to split a database, but with the Global Inbox)?

Thanks!

I no longer recommend splitting a database by making a Finder copy of it, then deleting items from the copies. Why? Because each database should have a unique UUID; if not, that can cause confusion, now that we have the Sync procedure.

In order to move large numbers of files between databases, it is always best to use File > Export > Files and Folders to a newly created folder in your Home Directory. (In Open / Save dialogs or the Finder, you can get to your Home Directory quickly by pressing Command-H.)

1. Select the records to move in the source database.
  2. Choose File > Export > Files and Folders and choose (or create) a folder on your Desktop. This is important as it keeps any ungrouped files from being mixed in with other files accidentally.
  3. After the export is finished, switch to the destination database and choose File > Import > Files and Folders. Select the contents of the folder from Step 2, not the folder itself.

This should maintain the metadata for the files. When the process is finished (and a quick visual inspection is not a bad idea), I would do a Tools > Verify & Repair or a Tools > Rebuild Database to ensure the new database’s integrity.

1 Like

Hello Bluefrog!

I came across this post of yours when searching for answers to my current challenge. I have one large database that is holding a lot of document and video files. In order to make a reliable sync (with my iPad) possible, I want to move all video files to a second database which I won’t sync. This would make my first database only contain document files so the sync would be significantly easier.

So, would your way of splitting a database still be the easiest way to go or is there any new option? I am using DT Pro 3.8 on my Mac.

Thank you for your help and Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!

Yes, that’s a valid procedure for moving a large number of files between databases. And there’s no specific new feature for splitting a database.

Okay, thanks a lot!

You’re very welcome :slight_smile:

One more question: Would you recommend this scenario at all? Or could I also sync this single database (around 250 GB because of all the videos) without running into speed/performance problems, if I have enough free cloud storage?

You theoretically could sync the whole thing. However, if it was my database, I would split it and sync only what’s necessary to carry on the mobile device.