Totally Frustrated by Sync

I’m wondering now whether the problem might relate to an incompatibility between the latest versions of the Mac OS and certain routers. Syncing has become impossible for me with my standard configuration, which relies on an ATT U-Verse router. But I just tried creating a network on the mac and then using that network to sync. Worked fine. Maybe we need a conference call involving Apple, ATT, and app developers to figure this out.

I have fixed an issue that also kept Criss from using DEVONthink To Go. Let’s try with the next version which is much more stable here.

when does the next version land? I can’t sync at all either

I want to add one, two minor features and submit it to Apple later this week.

Eric.

I’m going to give up on DevonThink Pro Office if these guys can’t find a way to make cloud synchronization work.
I’ve tried it for several weeks with dropbox and most of the time it just doesn’t finish.
This will kill the software as Evernote is not as good in many ways but flawlessly easy to clip to and to sync across multiple devices.
Even the Devon note clipper is virtually unusable compared with Evernote. I don’t want to have to select the text every time I make a clipping and fill in a box.

From all the Sync related tickets we’ve handled (which is relatively few) the issues generally are related to unhealthy databases, or network / cloud service related problems, not Sync. (This is not a defensive statement but one based on the actual data we have.)

Sync is all but worthless. From the ground up it is all wrong. Why do I have to put groups into a special mobile sync folder? Why does is have to send/receive every possible item? Why not just the items that have been edited since the last sync? Why do i have to be on my wifi network to sync? This is 2013, not 1998 when we plugged in to sync suitcases. Why does every other app have a decent method for syncing, but not DT?

I’m a new user to DT, happy with the core product, but nervous about the companies ideas for the mobile solution. Am I signing on to a dinosaur that is destined to fail? Starting to feel that way for me. I have many hours in, and I’m not feeling confident. How did you release such a troublesome app? no beta testing? no public testing? have you asked us what we want?

I understand that version 2.0 of ToGo is in the works. If that doesn’t work, I’m gone. I don’t mean any of this to inflame, it’s just how it is.

I am a fairly new DEVONthink user, but based upon my VERY positive experience with it, I purchased DEVONthink to go for my iPad. I cannot get the two to synch - at first I thought that I was making some stupid mistake, but having read this and other similar threads, i now doubt it.
In my case the replication seems to time out - I am only trying to replicate a few hundred items, but after 15 minutes one or the other of my machines goes to sleep - I don’t feel inclined to change the settings (unless that is what I am instructed to do) as 15 minutes ought to be quite sufficient for a few hundred web pages - only manages to get through twenty-odd before expiring!
This is not what I was expecting.

Regards.

Neil

I feel I have to add my tuppence worth: I am a serious user of DEVONthink Pro Office, with seven huge databases and doing many syncs to both iPhone and iPad each day.
Apart from an issue with Sheet files appearing on the iPad and iPhone in a strange order, I have never had any other issue with syncing.
What I would say, and I’m not having a go at anyone else with this, is that I am a neat-nerd who is very scrupulous about having everything tidy and perfect and no rubbish lying around in the background, duplicates, etc.
But that’s the only thing I obsess about, and have found syncing with DTPO a piece of cake since day one.
Clearly, it is not as good or powerful, yet, as the full version on your main computer at home.
But these are good, intelligent guys and they will get there - they made something as awesome as DEVONthink Pro Office, after all, so keep the faith!
:slight_smile:

In my view, the only alternative option to DEVONthink is Evernote. There are a ton of plus’ to Evernote but there are downsides that you have to be aware of. It is very slick, seamless between devices, is heavily supported by third parties and has a lot of seed money behind it. On the other hand, it’s architecturally very different than DEVONthink. I prefer the hierarchical folder structure of DEVONthink and that it is basically open architecture whereas Evernote is not. However, although Apple uses tons of standards and creates standard it’s not open architecture and yet I love Apple.

We’re at a bit of crossroads here. I tend not to go to forums for a reason. However, I definitely hear what everyone is saying and feel it myself. It’s not that I’m lazy. A switch to Evernote would be simple and it’s extremely intuitive. However, I don’t like it’s structure. It doesnt work the way I like to work. DEVONthink does. It’s just so unfortunate that DTTG is not up to snuff. DTTG2 sounds like it will rectify all of this. It’s just when. I’ve had Evernote on my computer since the day it came out but never took to it. I always look at it’s updates and I love watching ScreenCastsOnline and Don McAllister is a huge Evernote fan and so does show/tutorials on Evernote anytime they release so I know it well.

I battle with DEVONthink all the time as I think it’s a great product but the battling part is truly wearing me out. Also, I don’t have the time I used to have to battle with software. Generally and I’m like the fellow that finds if software doesn’t works for him I just abandon it now. I’ve got lots of software on my machine that just sits dormant as it no longer works for me. I’m now wondering if DEVONthink is going to fall into that category.

I’ve invested so much time learning this software that I’m very committed. However, there’s an old expression that I love - cut your losses. If a stock is falling too much and it doesn’t look like it will recover I sell it quickly regardless of the loss. I’ve tended to find 9 times out of ten I have cut my losses.

Yeah, that’s what people said about Apple over 15+ years ago when it was below $20 per share. My (then) mother-in-law asked for stock advice and I said, “Go with Apple. They are the ones that lead the way, even if their marketshare is smaller.”

Evernote is a distant competitor to DEVONthink. It has similar functionality (in a broad sense) but not the power or configurability. If you need to clip recipes or want a quick “note to self”, have at it (though DEVONthink can do this too). Evernote wants to be all things to all people, shoot for the lowest common denominator, and to sell you on premium storage plans (oh, and keeping a stranglehold on YOUR data). They have more marketing and have sold people on investing - that does NOT equal superiority of product or company.

You want powerful search? Classification by AI? An incredibly deep Applescript dictionary? The ability to organize your data in almost any way you’d like? A small but dedicated staff of Developers/Sales/and Support people who can respond much faster (and more personably) than a large company (and has no investors to dictate their direction)? Then you’re talking about us.

We are busy making our apps better (even when it means rewriting from scratch) and innovating, not just adding minor functionality to an existing app (or splitting ours into: DEVONthink, the Recipe version, DEVONthink, the Contacts version, DEVONthink, the I’m A Word Processor version, …).

Just my two cents…

Nicely put, blue frog.

And I seriously considered buying 1000 sh of Apple when it was $15. Kept putting it off and eventually let it go. Life can be a kick in the head at times.